𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢 | 𝖔𝖑𝖉 𝖛𝖆𝖑𝖞𝖗𝖎𝖆

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀RHAENE SLEPT RESTLESSLY that night. Visions of fire and screaming were prominent in her mind.

When she woke, servants were bustling about and there was scarcely a moment of silence. Upon looking out her window, Rhaene saw Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon exchanging words on horseback.

The guards mustered at the gate were carrying spears and bows, so she assumed they were going hunting.

Sighing, she looked down at her hands. It was her nameday, and the Lords surrounding her were going hunting.

She shook her own irritation away, moving to place the egg back inside the chest by her bed. After locking it, she wrapped herself in a robe and left her room.

"My lady-" a voice stopped her. It was masculine, and held a smug undertone. "If I may walk with you? I'm afraid I don't know my way around the castle."

Sighing deeply, Rhaene turned and arched a brow at the man. The Kingslayer had addressed her with a carelessness in his voice. For a second, she wished she had a sword in her hand, to gut him like he did her grandfather.

Smiling, she replied, "what do you seek?"

"The banquet room, I've lost my way and can't seem to get back there."

"You could've asked a guard," Rhaene thought bitterly. "Right this way." She turned, not waiting for a reply.

Jaime Lannister fell into step beside her, wearing only a leather clothes. His sword swung on his loose belt. "Very courteous of you," he smirked, "a Lion surrounded by Wolves is a skittish creature, it seems." He eyed her carefully. "Have you lived here long?"

"I spent much of my childhood in the North, yes, but I originate from Driftmark."

"So you're a Velaryon, then."

Rhaene nodded.

"I always heard the Velaryon's had silver hair like their Targaryen relatives, despite marrying into the general population, but I never really believed the rumors." He watched her for a reaction. "You truly do look like Aerys, well- the way he was before."

Rhaene's face stayed stoic. "Valyrian ancestry tends to run stronger than that of lesser men," she stated, "if that is all, Lannister?" She bit the tip of her tongue to keep from cursing him to oblivion and back.

Jaime looked away, as if suddenly noticing that they were at the door to the banquet room. "Ah," he grinned, "you have my thanks." He nodded at her before disappearing behind it.

≽ ∗ ≼

There was something off, Rhaene could feel it in her bones. She stared up at her stone ceiling, her jaw set.

Hours passed before her door opened. "Princess Rhaene!" Gemma gasped, "come quickly! Lord Brandon has been hurt!"

Rhaene threw on a dark blue robe and ran from her room, uncaring of her bare feet as they slapped the stone floors. On the way there she ran into Robb, who looked equally as troubled. He followed behind her, his hand on the pommel of his sword.

"What's happened?" Rhaene asked as she burst through the door to Bran's bedroom. He was laying on the bed, asleep. "Lady Catelyn?"

His mother was sat next to his bed, tears streaming down her cheeks. She only shook her head, holding a handkerchief to her face to muffle her sobs.

"Oh, Catelyn," Rhaene sighed, moving forward to kneel next to the Lady of Winterfell. She pulled her into a hug, her heart squeezing as the usually happy woman began to sob into her shoulder.

"I told him 'no more c-climbing!'" she choked out, gripping Rhaene's long tresses as if her life depended on it. "He didn't listen- why didn't he listen?"

"Shh," Rhaene hushed gently, "he'll be alright."

"You don't know tha-"

"He will be alright," Rhaene repeated, her voice as stern as she could make it. Emotion made her throat tighten. "He will be."

She held her for what seemed like forever before Catelyn pulled away. "Forgive me," she sniffed, dabbing at her red eyes.

Rhaene shook her head, giving a soft smile. "There's nothing to forgive, my lady." She turned her head to Bran, who was so still, he looked dead.

Slowly, she climbed onto the bed and sat beside him. "Wake up soon, Bran," Rhaene whispered, "your mother needs you." She glanced back at Robb, who had tears in his eyes. "We all do." She pressed a soft, featherlight kiss to his forehead.

Then, she turned and left the room.

≽ ∗ ≼

TWO WEEKS LATER

Her door creaked open, an apologetic guard peeking through.

Gemma's hands paused where they had been braiding Rhaene's hair, her head snapping over at the intruder.

"What is it?" Rhaene sighed, turning to glance at the man.

He raised his chin and cleared his throat. "Lord Stark requests your presence at the stables, he says he has a present for you."

"Which Lord Stark?" Rhaene asked impatiently.

"Lord Robb, mi'lady."

She nodded. "Thank you."

When Gemma finished her hair, Rhaene put on a fur-lined dress that fell to her calves. She wore leather pants beneath, and heeled boots.

Her footsteps were silent against the dirt as she made her way to the stables.

Robb was leaning against a wooden post, a soft smirk on his lips. He looked stressed, with deep eye bags.

Rhaene's gaze softened. "You summoned me." Her voice was quiet.

"Aye, I did." He opened the stablemaster's door. "Come."

Sighing, she followed him inside. "I really don't see why I need to be out here-" She turned, spotting a distinctive head of white hair. Two of them, to be exact. "Father!" she gasped, "Maekar!" With a wide grin, she ran to them and wrapped them both in a hug. "You didn't tell me you were coming!"

"Lord Robb sent for us," Jacaerys smirked, "says you've been feeling glum these past couple weeks."

"Where's mother?"

"At Driftmark, I left her to attend to my duties while I was away." Jacaerys took a long look at his daughter. "You look strong," he said with a smile, "like a true Northerner."

Rhaene's smile could not have been bigger. She turned to Robb, who watched the exchange through peace-filled eyes. "Oh, Robb!" she gasped, running towards him and embracing him fiercely. "Thank you."

Robb's strong arms wrapped around her petite form. She smelled like raspberries and firewood from the sweet-scented trees down south. "You've no need to thank me."