XIX » THE BEGGAR QUEEN

Rhaene stood stoically as Theon shot yet another raven down. They were at a bridge called the Twins, the only crossing for hundreds of miles. They needed it if they were to stop the Kingslayer or his Lord Father, Tywin Lannister.

He retrieved the scroll and handed it to Rhaene. With a sigh, the Princess unfurled it and began to read. "It's a birthday message to his grand-niece, Walda," she said tiredly.

They'd been standing there for some time, and Rhaene was ready to get the show on the road.

"Or so Walder Frey would have you think," Theon supplied suspiciously.

"Keep shooting them down," Lady Stark said, "we can't risk Walder Frey getting word to Tywin Lannister about our movements."

"He's your Grandfather's bannerman," Rhaene said, "can we not expect his support?"

"Expect nothing of Walder Frey," Greatjon responded coldly, "and you'll never be surprised." He looked over as two riders approached. "Look." He pointed them out.

"Father rots in a dungeon... how long before they take his head?" Robb shook his head. "We need to cross the Trident and we need to do it now."

"Just march up to the gates and tell him you're crossing," Theon suggested, "we have five times his numbers - we can take the Twins if we have to."

"Not in time," Sir Rodrick sighed, "Tywin Lannister marches North as we speak."

"The Freys have held the crossing for six hundred years, and for six hundred years they have never failed to exact their toll." Lady Stark's voice was grave, as well as her expression.

Robb sighed to himself. "Have my horse saddled and ready."

"If you enter the Twins alone, he'll sell you to the Lannisters," Greatjon said.

Theon added, "or throw you in a dungeon - or slit your throat."

Robb clenched his jaw and shook his head. They were running out of options. "My father would do whatever it took to secure our crossing." He clenched his fist. "If I'm going to lead this army I can't have other men do my bargaining for me."

"I agree," Catelyn sighed, "I'll go."

"You can't-"

"I have known Lord Walder since I was a girl - he would never harm me."

"Unless there was a profit in it," Greatjon commented under his breath.

"Send me as well," Rhaene suggested.

"No," Robb immediately denied, snatching her forearm as she moved to talk to the approaching riders.

"Let go of me," Rhaene snapped. She turned her gaze to his, holding it in a silent battle.

"I won't risk your life for a bridge," Robb growled, "you can't ask that of me."

"I'm not asking you to risk my life," Rhaene sighed, "I'm asking you to trust me."

"My love..."