In The Way

Emelia woke in a sweat, and a small scream escaped her throat. She'd had the same nightmare, again. She sat straight up in her rented bed and scanned the room, seeing no one but a concerned looking Henry, who was sitting up in his bed as well. "Are you alright?" He asked, "I-I'm fine..." She mumbled. She'd had this nightmare a million times before, this time it felt so much more real, it felt the same as if it had really just happened again. Emelia figured it was just because she had talked about it last night, and her brain just decided to make her suffer twice as much for bringing it up. 

"Clearly you are not fine, you're drenched in sweat, and you look pale. Are you ill? Or did you have a nightmare?" Henry pressed. "Henry, I'm fine. I just had a little nightmare, nothing to worry over." She replied with a stern tone. Henry frowned, and furrowed his brows, "But-" "Just forget about it, Henry. I'm fine, alright? Just leave me be, please." She interrupted him, Henry sighed and nodded. Emelia got dressed, and Henry did the same. Henry changed his shirt and pants, but put back on the same waistcoat and over coat, Emelia put on her highwaisted pants, button up white shirt, and suspenders, and her over coat. She left her hair down, her hair went past the middle of her back.

They attached their weapons to where they belonged and almost set foot out the door when they heard a scream from outside. Emelia ran to the window and saw a woman in the street being stabbed, she broke the nailed window with the heel of her boot, and leapt out, landing on a hay pile next to a stable. She aimed her pistol and hit the man in the chest with the ball of the pistol. The woman, now dead, lie on the ground. The man began to flee, Emelia checked the woman, then gave chase to her murderer. Henry just followed with the same amount of speed as Emelia. He had to be careful with how fast he ran, considering he was five times faster than a normal man. A cheetah moving at a snail's pace.

They ended up in a heavily wooded area, Emelia was right on the mans tail, she didn't care if he was a vampire or a normal man, he was going to pay for killing that poor woman. The man had tripped, he fell on his face, Emelia grabbed her blade, ready to strike the mans head off, when Henry yelled, "Stop!" and he accidentally ran into her, causing them both to topple over. The man had gotten up and ran away.

Emelia sprang to her feet, and began to run after him again, but something grabbed her wrist. "Henry! Let me go." She demanded, "Emelia, stop. You can't just kill him without his half of the story." Henry said calmly, "He murdered a woman in the streets of a full town! And now you're telling me I need that son of a bitches half of the story!?" Emelia asked a little too loud. "Calm down, we'll find him, and ask him what happened. I hate it as much as you, but that man isn't a vampire, so you can't just kill him like you usually would." Henry replied. 

"Henry, when we began this little trip, you promised to stay out of my way. Now I suggest you do exactly that and let me do my job, alright?" Emelia stated, Henry didn't reply. They began walking again, Emelia constantly looking in the direction of a twig snap. She was uptight, that murderer could be anywhere, he could get away, he could get the jump on them, and kill them as well. Henry was calm, he took a deep breath, adjusted his sunglasses every once in a while. Emelia eyed him suspiciously from the corner of her eye. 

To say she was mad at him was an understatement, he promised to stay out of the way when she was hunting a killer, and he'd broken it, to say the least Emelia was pissed. Henry could tell, which is why he didn't say anything while they were walking, he didn't want to upset her further. He felt her glances, and heard a few of her angry thoughts. most of them were about the man getting away but one stuck out, "I shouldn't have let him get away." She still blames herself, even if the fault isn't hers. 

Emelia stopped, and stuck her arm out to stop Henry, he looked over at her, but saw she was completely focused on a sound she heard. Henry heard it too, a man sobbing. They stalked slowly and quietly, they approached an abbandoned cabin, and found the man leaning against the wall beside it, he was crying. They quietly approached, Emelia had her blade in her hands, Henry grabbed her and shook his head, so as to tell her to not kill him. She lowered her blade with a sigh and walked up to the man. 

The man jumped in surprise, he'd thought he had escaped them. "Explain yourself...now." Emelia demanded, "I-I didn't want to k-kill her...I swear! The m-man told me to d-do it.." He cried, "What man?" asked Emelia, "The man with the dark glasses and pale skin..." He answered, "Vampire.." Emelia mumbled, "Where is he, and what did he look like?" Emelia questioned, he told them everything. They turned to leave, Henry was a little more ahead of Emelia, when she felt a pain in her side, she looked down and saw a knife through her side. 

Henry stood by, he was told not to interfere. "You mother fu-" She started and swung her blade at him, slicing his chest, he grabbed her, and knocked her to the ground, he raised the knife, "Henry!" Emelia screamed, he was there in a second, and he snapped the mans head right off, blood splattering everywhere. Emelia was breathing heavily, her heart going a mile a second. She looked up at Henry, his hand held out to her, she took his hand and stood up, still clutching her side. 

"I'm sorry." Henry said, "You were right about that man, and I never should have gotten in the way." "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten so angry with you, and thanks, for saving my life again..." She replied, Henry smiled at her, and she smiled back. She sucked in a breath from the pain in her side. "Oh my God, are you okay?" Henry asked quickly, "Yeah, he didn't hit anything important, I'll just need stitches....you ever stitch a wound before Sturges?" Emelia asked with a smirk, "As a matter of fact, I have." He replied.

Henry stitched the wound with the needle and thread Emelia kept in her pouch for just this kind of thing, and they began walking back to the town, Emelia saw a small lake, and she looked down at her bloody clothes and skin, "You mind keeping watch for me while I take a bath?" She asked awkwardly, "It's about time you bathe, I was beginning to worry I might pass out from your awful stench." Henry joked, Emelia punched him. 

She went over to the lake, making sure no one was around, and took a bath, then washed her clothes as best she could. As hard as it was, Henry didn't look at her once, and no one came over to the lake. After her clothes were fairly clean, they headed back to the Inn, gathered their bags, and mounted their horses, and left the town, and headed to the next, or wherever there was trouble. Henry looked at Emelia, she looked at him, and she smiled. Henry smiled back. "If we're going to be a team, you don't have to stay out of my way anymore, we'll work together." Emelia said, "Good idea." replied Henry. 

The sun was starting to set, Emelia admired the sunset and so did Henry. They may not always get along, but that's how it is with friends. They make a good team, and now they're on to the next town to rid the country of a little more evil. Together.

***To Be Continued

A/N: Another update y'all! Enjoy! And as always, I will see you...in the next chapter! BUH-BYE!

in the next chapter! BUH-BYE!