Gone Too Soon

The two lovers awoke with a jump when they heard a knock at the door. They exchanged cautious glances and, and walked to the door. Henry opened the door, Emelia had her pistol at the ready, beyond the door stood a man dressed in a fine suit. "Mr. Sturges?" He asked, he was a vampire, Emelia could tell. "I'm from the Union, I was sent by Adam to find you and give you this message." He said, and glanced at Emelia, giving her a look of disgust. 

Henry tore open the letter and read through it, "They're requesting I go back to New York? Why? I just returned, I'm not going back." He said, "Adam said it was urgent-" "Yes, and I have more pressing matters to attend to, I'm not about to up and leave right now." Henry interrupted the young vampire. "Mr. Sturges, It is not something that can be discussed here, not with...her at least." At that, Henry felt his fist clench. Usually he could deal with the Union forcing him to go to and fro but when they insult his lover, that's another story. 

"Miss Kyle is my partner, and if I have to deal with something she will be by my side for it, but I am not going back to New York at this time, thank you very much." He stated, his tone growing angrier. The young vampire looked at the two, smirked a bit, "Very well, we'll be seeing you very soon, Mister Sturges, Ma'am." he said, and walked away.

"What the fuck was that about?" Emelia asked, "I don't know, but I have a bad feeling about it." Henry replied. "Oh shit, what time is it!?" Emelia asked, looking quickly to the clock on the mantle, it read eight twenty-five. "I've only got five minutes to get to mass!" She panicked, throwing on her boots and coat. "Okay, since you'll probably start on fire or something, you can wait here for me, I'll be back in an hour!" She said quickly and kissed him on the cheek and ran off. Henry watched her as she ran, nearly running into a fence. He shook his head with a chuckle and went back inside, closing the door behind him.

Henry started a new fire, and took a stroll around the house, he stopped at Emelia's old room, there was a plethora of books and little trinkets. He smiled, he took a moment to imagine her here when she was young, soon Henry remembered that she could still age, if they were to be together for a long time, she would continue to age, and he wouldn't. He would have to watch yet another lover pass away before him. He quickly shook the thought from his mind and instead looked through her old books. 

There was at least a dozen fairytale books, stories of daring knights in dazzling armor, and beautiful princesses who were taken by hideous monsters, only to be saved and fall in love. Other books were scrapbooks, filled with doodles or dried flowers from her youth. Henry stopped when he came across a leather bound journal, he opened it and read the first page; "Emelia's journal, stay out." He smiled and sat down on the bed, and began to read. 

"Entry 1, Father allowed me to help with the field work, mother didn't approve saying that 'A lady should learn the things of a wife, dear.' but father let me help anyway, I found that I love the outside work far more."

He skipped ahead to a few entries later, "Father said there is a man trying to set his son up with me as an arranged marriage, father won't accept because he knows I'm not ready, what a good day to be lower class, and not care about money." 

He grazed ahead to the last entry, "Eyes, dark as midnight, teeth, sharp as razors. They were supposed to be legends, fake, but my horrific experience would say otherwise. Murdered in cold blood, it should have been me. I should have been there, maybe I could have helped, and if not, then at least I could have died honorably among my family. I vow to kill every last damned vampire, if it kills me, so be it, what do I have to lose?"

He felt a pang in his heart, guilt and sadness filled him. She was so young, and she lost everything, but so did he all those years ago. He lost a wife and child, and she lost her parents. Maybe they were meant to be. He glanced at the small clock on the bedside table and saw it was nearly nine-thirty, so he decided to meet Emelia outside the Church. He donned his coat and sunglasses, and began walking.