Chapter 3: Who Are You?

Akira POV

I wake up to the feeling of someone touching my ear. It feels quite odd, actually. But why are they touching my ear?

Wait, who is touching my ear?

My eyes open immediately to see the perpetrator. It was a girl, around my age, with a hood over her head. I could see red hair from under her hood, and she had bright green eyes. She looks very familiar...

She gasps and steps back. "Who are you?" I ask her as I struggle to get up with my hurt foot. Her emerald eyes flicker to my foot, before looking at my eyes. She stays silent, as if in shock. "I'll ask again; who are you?" I repeat my question as I slowly reach for my kendo sword.

She jolts slightly, before stuttering out, "Oh! Sorry. I'm simply a traveling herbalist," She glances at my foot. "Who may be able to help with your foot?" I warily look her over before sighing and sitting back on the ground. "Your help would be deeply appreciated, miss." I say to her. She smiles at me warmly before settling down next to me, pulling out bandages and vials of ointments.

"So... are you going to tell me your name?" She asks me. I realize that we didn't introduce ourselves. "As long as you tell me yours." I reply back.

She looks me in the eyes and nods her head. "My name is Akira. Akira Kazumi." She hums in response. "Mine is Shirayuki." My eyes widen with shock. Wait, no wonder I recognize her! The red hair, green eyes—she looks exactly like the anime! So, does that mean that I'm in the anime?

"Are you okay?" Shirayuki asks me, bringing me out of my thoughts. "Huh? Oh, y-yeah I'm fine." I stutter. We stay silent for a moment.

"Er, so, may I ask about your...?" She trails off a little awkwardly. I look at her questioningly for her to continue until she gestures to my ears. "O-oh! I, uh, really don't know, er, what to say about these, erm, ears." I say just as awkwardly as her. "Or the tail." I add on. She nods her head in understanding and continues to work on my foot.

"What about you? Reason for traveling?" I ask to ease the tension in the air. Even though I know why she left, I can't really leak out my knowledge of the characters, or myself. It would be too dangerous. A slightly forced smile appeared on her face. "Oh... lets just say I'm-" I cut her off.

"Ya know? Don't tell me. I wanna guess." I grin slyly at her. She looks at me with a puzzled expression, then bursts out into laughter. After she calms down, she manages to say, "I have never met someone like you. You are totally unique. Inside and out. Even your eyes! I have never seen something like them!"

I tilt my head in a confused manner. "My eyes?"

"Yes. Your eyes, they're different colors." She replies, puzzled.

"I knew that, but what's so special about them?" I say equally puzzled.

"They're not only special, but rare. They might be even rarer than my hair." She explains, pulling her hood back slightly. I make a silent oh. She continues to bandage my foot.

"There. That should do it until you get to the next town." She starts to pack up her supplies and stands up. She gives me a warm smile. I stand up as well, leaning on the stick. "Yeah... about that, do you happen to know where I am? I'm a little lost." I say sheepishly while scratching my cheek.

She nods in understanding and thinks for a moment. "Well, if you're lost, then... you can travel with me!" She shines a bright smile. "After all, that gives me the opportunity to keep an eye on my patient." She winks at me.

"Though... if we want to get to town without interruptions, we might have to consider hiding your ears. Your tail could pass as simply a part of your clothing." She mutters to herself.

"Do you happen to have another hood and some hair pins, Shirayuki?" I ask her, getting an idea. She looks up, puzzled. "Yeah, I always have a spare hood. I have pins, too. Why?" I take the white hood and drape it over my shoulders like hers. Taking the pins from her, I set my ears flat on my head and pin them down, one at a time. I flick up the hood, the turn to her. "For this. Now I look completely normal, right?"

She stares at me, shocked at the quick thinking. "That's amazing! I never thought of that!" She exclaims. I chuckle at her reaction.

"Well, if we're all set, then lets set out!" I say to her excitedly. Taking my walking stick, I lean against it and walk along the path with Shirayuki. I don't know what this world will bring, but I know it will sprinkle the color that I've been longing for in my life. From now on, nothing will be the same.

And its all because of a wish in my heart, and a golden fox to bring it to life.