Chapter 25: Change Of Plans

Akira POV

After the lord was dismissed with a warning, Zen turns back to the young man still sitting cross-legged on the ledge. "And you," he spat venomously, quickly striding over to the young man. The man didn't flinch in the slightest, even raising his hands in surrender with a grin. "You can call me Obi, Master," he said as Zen gripped the front of his shirt.

"I am not your master," Zen growls. "Listen very closely, I'm going to keep you where I can see you, got that?"

"No need to be so cautious, I wouldn't mess with them again," Obi chuckles, waving his hand slightly. Slowly, a smile pulls at Zen's lips. "You think I would believe that?" he asks, pushing the man closer over the edge.

"Oi, oi, no need to be brash. I wouldn't mess with the girl again, especially since she seems to be good for you. As for the little fox," Obi said, looking over at me, "I think he's too cute to harm, especially without that headband of his." He sends me a wink, smiling slyly as I glare at him.

The look of shock on Zen's face said it all. After finally gathering himself, Zen simply pushes Obi off the ledge. He lands on the ground in a crouch, but I look away when Zen mutters for me to hear, "I think we need to have a chat, yes?"  He said it not so much as a question as it was a statement.

'Oh dear... I think I'm going to die.'

I stay silent but I couldn't help the nervous sweat that started to break out when I begin thinking of the possible outcomes of the conversation.  While I was involved with my own thoughts, I vaguely register the fact that Shirayuki was finally telling Zen about the court herbalist application. After congratulating her, I distinctly feel his gaze on me. "Shirayuki, maybe you should go home now," Zen said. "I have some things I need to attend to, and Akira might be a little late coming back."

He motions me to follow him, his smile a little forced. Hesitantly I walk up to him, avoiding eye contact with him. He places his hand on the small of my back and forces me to walk beside him as he says goodbye to Shirayuki over his shoulder.

It was silent as we walk to his office, though my mind of anything but silent. I know that Zen's probably angry or upset in some way that I had put myself between a rock and a hard place. The stupid mercenary had to find me when I was asleep, dammit! Though, thinking about it, that was the first in a long time I haven't had any nightmares...

When we finally arrive at his office, I see that Kiki and Mitsuhide were already inside, along with Obi between them. Obi seems to light up when he saw me. "Little Kit!" he said, a wide smile covering his face. "What a coincidence that you're here as well."

I glare at him, but turn my attention back to Zen. He had made his way around his large desk, sitting down in the large chair. All the military teachings my father had beaten into me at a young age came before I could stop it and I stand at attention, my feet together and my hands clasped tightly behind my back. It was too late when I realize what I had done, but I was too nervous to let go of my stance.

I was so nervous, in fact, I didn't realize the slip of my tail.

Obi catches sight of my tail and stands up. "How interesting," he remarks as he began circling me. "You truly are remarkable, little Kit." He testingly touches the tip of my tail and a shiver runs up my spine. Red stains my cheeks as he pets my tail lightly, shaking from the odd sensation. I couldn't bear to turn around because of my father's teachings, but I gather myself enough to grit out, "Please get this buffoon away from me."

Zen chooses in interject here. "Obi, step back," he said, glaring at Obi for good measure. Obi raises his hands in surrender and takes a step back, laughing slightly. Zen turns back to me, curiously looking over my stance. "Why are you standing like that?" he asks.