Departure

1959

On his return to Italy from his trip to Greece, Tom went through everything again, and he was thinking about his homosexual friend Peter Smith-Kingsley more than ever. He had simply quit his invitation to come to Ireland without thinking. Only because he wanted to make this trip to get his head cleared of all the guilt and all the sins that burdened him. But now he wanted to see him again.

He was more attracted to him than ever. But first of all, he had to confess, so that he wouldn't get stupid thoughts when talking to Peter, because he could not stand it to have an inaugurated friend. No! Not if that was why he had killed Freddie then. Actually - he thought - it had been self-defense, but who would believe him? - Nobody. The way he called him Homo, probably, yes, sure even, he thought he lived with Dickie, and who knows what he believed, maybe even guessed he was imitating Dickie, but most likely, he thought Dickie was still alive, as everyone else did, except perhaps Mr. Greenleaf Senior. Nobody can really look into another person's mind.

His past kept catching up with him, so he often saw Dickie's bloodstained face in front of him. He finally wanted to forget that he was a murderer.

He had to confess. Maybe there was a Catholic church in Ireland where he could do it. Because these people, he knew, would not tell on him to the police, they had secrecy.

Suddenly he came back to reality, as Melanie asked him if he already knew where the journey went. They had met on the ferry.

Melanie was a young pretty blonde woman from England, she was wrapped in a dark blue coat and wore a subtle pink lipstick.

She wanted to leave for London as soon as possible.

Tom said he wanted to go to Ireland, more specifically to the town Armagh, to visit Peter Smith-Kingsley in his old castle.

He had invited him then and said that Tom was always welcome, so it should not cause him any trouble if he showed up with him months later.

"Did you just say Peter Smith-Kingsley? We were together at the University for piano. How do you know him? "-" Wow! - I mean, what a coincidence! I met him a year ago, through an old friend, here in Italy. "

"Yes, it's really a coincidence. The world is really small, "she laughed.

"If you go to Ireland, we could take the same train. When I get off in London, you just keep sitting"

"Yes, that's not a bad idea. Then we can continue our conversation." They could take the night train, he suggested.

Tom already imagined the goodbye in his thoughts as he waved to her from the train window and smiled.

But that did not happen. As soon as they got to the railway station and on the train, Melanie began to talk about her time at the university and also that Peter and her were very good friends. At that time she already knew that he did not care about women, only liked them in a friendly way. She didn't mind at all. On the contrary. She was happy to be single and to do whatever she wanted.

As far as Tom could tell, Melanie was longing for Peter and he came up with the idea that she could accompany him and that they could pay Peter a surprise visit together.

The train ticket was not limited, because you only paid for the seat.

Melanie agreed and was equally happy about it because Tom was right.

Tom was also glad that she had nothing against gays, because there were other people who were very well against them, who felt they were disgusting, did not agree to any touch, or disregarded them as if they were from another world.

Gradually he felt that he liked Peter more than just a good friend. But if he would get involved in a relationship with him? He should not go like a bull at a gate. Certainly not if they were not alone. Melly would come with him and who knows how long she would stay. One surprise was enough for one and the same evening.

It was enough for now if he was anywhere near him. Maybe it was not so bad not to be alone with him right away. Then he could spend an afternoon alone to go to church. In the meantime, he was able to talk to Melly.

"Where are we now?" Tom asked Melly. "We just drove past London, now I cannot change my mind - there's no turning back now," she laughed. "The ride cannot be long now. We have achieved the majority "

"Who was it that introduced you to Peter?" "It was Marge Sherwood, her fiancé has gone missing for some time, and nobody thinks he's alive, only her." He described it as Peter might have, after all, he could not tell her the truth that was too risky.

"I do not think I know her. I think I would also hope" "Yes, only there was even a will, so I thought he might have killed himself" Tom tried not to mention the name Dickie, because whenever he said his name he had pictures in his mind. He hoped Peter would not start talking about him when they would meet again.

He almost prayed for it. On days like this, he often prayed for all sorts of things. Something had made him religious. No, more believing than religious. He now saw everything with open eyes, enjoyed being in the world. - Since his journey, he had changed a lot. Positive.

He was no longer a nobody, but without Dickie's money he could not have afforded anything like that. No fancy clothes and no traveling. No luxury.

It was really time to go back to work. The wealth of Dickie's possessions could not last forever. He would look for a job in Ireland. A job that he enjoyed. Maybe Peter knew where there was a vacancy, he eventually lived there. He would like it if his new job had something to do with maths. It was one of his few talents.

Tom finally wanted to have no outside capital. He wanted to work out his own fortune. Hard, but with pleasure.

"We're here," Melly shouted, shaking Tom by the shoulder, who must have fallen asleep during his deliberations.-The train stopped-Everyone took their suitcases and got out of the cars.

Armagh was the terminus.

It was a beautiful, historic, Irish old town. The castle where Peter lived was long ago the residence of Crown Prince Edward Armagh.

One of the two towers was already dilapidated and now only a ruin, but the castle was a beautiful building throughout.

The way from the train station to Peter's home was not far, you could already see the spire from there.

After fifteen minutes of walking, they finally arrived and knocked with the door knocker in shape of a raven's head against the big gate. Inside a door opened, the gate was unlocked and finally a woman stood in front of them.

It turned out that she was Peter's housekeeper. She had the beautiful name Grace MacKincy. She had brown wavy hair and deep blue eyes.

"Do you want to go to Mr. Smith-Kingsley?" "Yeah, we - Melanie Rey and I, Tom Ripley - have come to visit him" "Ah! Tom Ripley! Peter has already told me a lot about you - only good things, of course - just come in" -" Peter will appear soon, he has just gone shopping in the city - I am sure he will be glad about your visit "

So it looks from the inside, Tom thought. It was modest but nicely decorated and equipped.

There was another knock on the door, it was Peter. Finally, Tom thought.