Cold As Ice

Pale skin and gloomy eyes that lacked the brightness they once possessed even in the fiery light of the burning afternoon sun greeted Steve when he glanced in the rear view mirror for the tenth time over the course of five minutes

Pale skin and gloomy eyes that lacked the brightness they once possessed even in the fiery light of the burning afternoon sun greeted Steve when he glanced in the rear view mirror for the tenth time over the course of five minutes. Clothing far too big for her clung to her sweaty body, a forest green t-shirt and pair of navy blue pants he'd brought in his overnight bag and as she glanced out the window towards the panes of grass that extended far beyond the gritty road he was driving along, Janie picked at the red polish that desperately tried to cling to her fingernails. She averted her gaze as if in a hurry to escape Steve's lingering eyes, afraid that if she'd look at him too long, she would want to hurt him again. 

Steve couldn't seem to shake the bubbling inside his stomach, caused by the vanishing of that shimmer in her eye he suddenly found himself so drawn to before. He chewed on his bottom lip, hands gripping the steering wheel so tight his knuckles turned white. The car in front of him drove agonizingly slow, presumably a family on their way to the shores of France to celebrate their summer. He envied them, oblivious to what being an Avenger really meant. Steve didn't know what it meant before either, not until the girl that made his chest swell and pulse increase tried to murder him by his own fault.

He realized, as he chewed on his lip and forced himself to pay attention to the road, that the reason why he kissed her that New Years Eve was because he wanted to see her happy and more importantly, he wanted to be the cause of said happiness. He wanted to make her happy for entirely selfish reasons, but looking at her now through the rear view mirror of the stolen car him and his three passengers were currently stuck inside of, he realized he'd failed miserably, for there was not an ounce of happiness evident in her features nor in his own and this realization made his head swim and neck stiffen.

He wanted to feel her lips pressed to his Adam's apple, because that's as far as she could reach without his assistance, experience the warmth of her hand on the side of his cheek and to smell the scrumptious scent of her flowery perfume on his clothing after sharing a plethora of heart warming hugs. He feared that soon, he wouldn't be able to remember any of these things, much like he'd forgotten what Peggy Carter smelled like the first time he took her hand to press his lips upon her skin, because the dead look in Janie's eyes told him something Steve couldn't yet admit to himself. He didn't want the last kiss they shared to have been the last one they would share ever again. He wasn't done with her, didn't give himself time to prepare for another lost love.  

He cleared his throat when he noticed Sam eyeballing him from the passenger's seat. A curious frown had spread over his friend's brow, causing Steve to almost immediately straighten his back and elbows. Neither man said anything, unsure of words that were lying in wait just beyond their lips. Bucky had his eyes shut, head lolling against the backseat headrest, wishing he were asleep instead of lying uncomfortably across the chair, witnessing the awkward interactions between the people in his close proximity.

A dull ache had set over the left side of Janie's head. Unlike Bucky, she had no clue of the tension inside the car. Inside her mind, Helmut Zemo's face danced from side to side,  the image of his face speeding by while the car sped towards an old gas station. The mud covered station wagon needed a refill and nobody could deny the discomfort provided by the hot leather chairs, lack of airconditioning and space.