Melting

Tears, hot and salty, ran down Steve's cheeks when Janie's body slammed harshly into his own

Tears, hot and salty, ran down Steve's cheeks when Janie's body slammed harshly into his own. His right hand grabbed hold of her lower back when he felt her fingers wrap tightly around the nape of his neck and her legs around his waist. He used his super-soldier strength to hold her up as they embraced, taking in the scent of her hair like it was the last thing he ever expected to smell ever again. The heavenly scent of vanilla and black pepper invaded his nostrils as he pressed his nose up against her temple and he sighed, muscles straining while he held her up to him. They were still fighting, but things were finally looking up.

Steve held her in an embrace so tight it constricted Janie's breathing because he needed to feel every ounce of her body against his own, for simply holding her wasn't quite enough for him to make sure she was really there with him. He had to miss her for five years, five long years of feeling like a part of him had gone missing and finally, the lost puzzle piece had appeared from underneath the rug and he'd been able to put the whole thing back together.

"You're here," he sighed into strands of chocolate hair, "you're really here."

The world melted around her when Steve's gesture of affection continued to warm her from the inside out. She leaned back, watching the tears that fell from his eyes, and choked up, forcing herself to keep her tears from spilling.

"Don't cry, big guy," she choked, "don't cry."

It was odd, having to comfort a man twice her size, but Janie took it upon herself to wipe the droplets from his rosy cheeks.

"Thought you were gone," he mumbled.

"I'm here Stevie," she assured him, "I'm back now."

The touch of her fingertips against his cheek caused the whirl of nervous butterflies that fluttered around in his stomach to die down. It eased the dread that had settled inside him five years ago and unlocked the cage his heart had been trapped in for the first time since her death. He hadn't felt much of anything in five years' time, but he could feel this.

He pressed a strong kiss to her temple once he put her back on the ground, squeezing her softly once more just to make sure she was really standing beside him, looking up at him with doe eyes. His chest swelled when she smiled at him and when she took a stand beside him with her knives drawn, Steve knew they would win the battle once and for all.