Siberia

As the events of Sokovia slowly but surely unfolded into the largest battle the earth had ever seen, Janie had trouble accepting life for her went on as normal

As the events of Sokovia slowly but surely unfolded into the largest battle the earth had ever seen, Janie had trouble accepting life for her went on as normal. Novi Grad was on fire and the world with it, people across the globe were shocked as they watched everything happening in front of their eyes and yet she still had to go to classes and shop for groceries, which seemed to be all she did anymore anyway.

She'd given up on following the news after the first hour of coverage, but no matter how hard she tried to avoid it, the reality of the situation followed her wherever she went.

In class, it was all everyone could talk about. The Avengers were the topic of the week, and discussions about the legitimacy of them rose during every lecture. Her friends, the few of them she had left, even contacted her out of the blue to ask her if she'd seen what was going on. Hell, even her physical therapist brought up the subject as he was working on the muscles in her back. The Avengers were literally everywhere, including the subway and bus stations, grocery stores, and even in the line at Starbucks. 

Somehow, something inside of her shifted. Janie didn't want to admit a certain super soldier to be the cause, but her heart leaped inside her chest every time somebody mentioned his name. She hadn't forgotten what caused them to meet in the first place, but as time ticked on, she found herself more and more ready to cross the threshold that held her back from living a somewhat normal life. She constantly caught herself thinking of him, wondering how he was doing, who he was with and what was going on. She feared for his life even after having seen what he was capable of and hearing people talking negatively about him made her blood boil.  

She was done chasing rainbows and hoping for an end to them, determination to move on and stop being a coward growing. She began to realize how lucky she really was, meeting the Avengers had changed her in ways she couldn't even properly grasp. 

She hadn't seen the strange man from the sidewalk since he conveniently saved her from a probably painful death and figured it had to have been some weirdo gracious enough to pull her out of ongoing traffic. The bruise around her arm faded quickly and the memory of the encounter with it. It only crossed her mind when she found herself near that same spot but eventually chose to ignore the clench in her stomach when she crossed there to get to school. 

With a cup of steaming black coffee and soft jazz music playing to fill the silence in her apartment, Janie was bent over her computer trying to work on an essay due next week. As the words flowed from her fingertips onto the three-page word document, a knock on Janie's door rudely interrupted her thoughts. She groaned but got up from her chair anyway, stretching the stiff muscles in her back before walking towards the front of the house. Whoever stood in the hall knocked again before she could even reach the door, three rapid knocks this time.

Her slippers, light grey lined with pale pink faux fur dragged across the wooden floor and the belt on her fuchsia-colored bathrobe nearly caught under the sole of one of them. She'd already taken a shower earlier and had put on her pajamas, a black long-sleeved shirt, and dark blue pants with little iridescent stars all over them. Hanging loosely around her shoulders? A robe, bright pink and fluffier than any bath towel she'd ever used.