Ice Age

"Ah, whosoever be he worthy  shall haveth the power," Clint said loudly, "Whatever man, it's a trick!"

"Please, be my guest." Thor offered.

Janie sat on the couch next to Steve, who leaned back with an amused expression on his face. Three glasses of wine had already made it into the young woman's system, calming the bundle of nerves in the pit of her stomach and causing her to feel more at ease among the world's mightiest living heroes. 

The party had died nearly an hour ago, but the small group of people leftover had joined each other in the lounge, where they could chat and enjoy some drinks. Janie had told Steve she was going to go home at first, but he insisted she stayed a little while longer. She, of course, complied. 

Natasha and Bruce were talking in hushed voices, smiling at each other from where they sat. Next to Bruce sat Clint, who'd started a conversation with Thor about his magical hammer Mjolnir, and its power. Mariah simply looked down at the small stack of playing cards in her hands, her face contorted in a cheeky smile.

Tony laid down his own set of cards, immediately intrigued by the challenge Thor posed to Clint, "come on."

"Really?" Clint asked with wonder in his eyes. 

"Yeah!" Tony exclaimed, the alcohol in his blood clearly taking effect.

"Oh, this is gonna be beautiful," James smiled. 

"Clint," Tony resumed, "You've had a tough week. We won't hold it against you if you can't get it up."

When Janie's laughter, soft yet clear, filled the room, Steve couldn't help but glance at her. He chuckled as well, although more reserved than she was. 

"You know I've seen this before, right?" Clint told Thor, who simply smiled and nodded in return. 

Clint began pulling at the hammer, which sat atop the coffee table in front of everybody. As if it weighed a thousand pounds, it didn't move an inch. Clint huffed and puffed as he tried yanking it up off the table but to no avail. The damn thing was stuck to the table; it didn't budge. 

"I still don't know how you do it," he said through gritted teeth.

"Smell the silent judgment?" Tony said smugly. 

"Please," Clint offered, "Stark, by all means. Be my guest."

Snickers from everybody in the room were heard as Tony got up from his seat, ready as ever to grab Mjolnir off the table like he'd seen Thor do hundreds of times before. 

He pushed open the buttons on his jacket and slightly rolled up his sleeves, "Never been one to shrink from an honest challenge. It's physics... So if I lift it, I rule Asgard?"

"Yes, of course," Thor replied with a smirk. 

"Are they really doing this?" Janie whispered in Steve's ear when Tony ran off to get his Iron Man glove and James joined him.