Iced Wine

When Janie woke up the next morning, she'd completely forgotten about the Super Soldier recovering from his injuries in her bed

When Janie woke up the next morning, she'd completely forgotten about the Super Soldier recovering from his injuries in her bed. It was still dark outside when the young woman trudged through her apartment without flicking on any of the lights. She didn't think about the fact that she'd awoken on the couch instead of between the warmth of her bed sheets and didn't question the lump in her bed when she shuffled to the bathroom for her early morning shower. She had never been particularly happy about waking up early, but it was what her schedule required.

Within ten minutes, Janie had showered, brushed her teeth, and pinned her hair in a sloppy bun that sat messily atop her head. With her towel wrapped securely around her torso to keep her skin from being exposed to the cold air flowing through her apartment, she stepped out of the steamy humidity of the bathroom and out into the partial darkness of her bedroom.

When the lump under the sheets finally moved, she let out a loud shriek. Steve Rogers jumped up from under the covers, his eyes wide and frantically searching for a threat that was not there. When he found Janie, half-naked in the center of the room, his eyes shot toward the alarm clock's flashing red light on the nightstand in embarrassment. He would be forever grateful for the darkness because he immediately tried to hide the curious gaze he had trouble stopping.

"I'm so sorry," Steve said quickly, "I didn't mean to startle you."

"Don't worry about it," she swallowed, "Are you okay? Better, I mean?" She asked as she watched Steve spring up from the bed.

He frowned at her question, but when she pointed towards the white bandages around his stomach, he relaxed. Steve unwrapped himself slowly and carefully as his eyes adjusted to the dark, revealing a wound that looked several weeks old. His flesh had rapidly begun to regenerate, leaving his injury on the brink of being fully healed thanks to the serum coursing through his veins.

Steve noticed Janie's mouth being slightly agape at his rapid regeneration and chuckled lightly. He grabbed his shirt up off the floor and put it back on, grimacing at the smell of sweat and the feeling of sand and particles of dirt scrubbing against his bare skin. The hole in his uniform perfectly showed off the pink patch of skin on his side. He would have to get that fixed up as soon as possible.

"I should have washed that for you," Janie commented, "It didn't really cross my mind, sorry."

"It's fine. I heal fast," he explained, "Don't worry about me."

"Kind of hard not to after the guy who saved my life stumbles in my apartment at three in the morning covered in blood that may or may not be his," Janie said smartly, "I've decided I won't ask questions."

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this. I shouldn't have asked for your help."

Steve put his gloves back on and grabbed his shield, strapping it to his back in slow motion. His muscles ached in protest, but the feeling would subside before the day was out, so he ignored it for now. He came around the bed and in an impulse, pulled the damp, half-naked girl to his chest in a bone-crushing hug.