September 10, 2003 (Mica's Story)

Nothing was in my mind as I walked into my parent's room that night.

No memories, no feelings, no anything. Just a blank nothingness. Truthfully, that scared me a lot more than the flames licking at the doorway, ready to devour my world.

I walk over to my mother's side of the bed, and stare down at her still face. Her eyes don't open like Carson and Fairen's did.

It was probably better that way. Because if she had opened her brilliant blue eyes, she would've seen a dry-eyed daughter simply waiting for her to die.

My eyes trace Mica's delicate features. She was known as gentle and kind, always there whenever anyone needed her. A scientist, someone curious enough to question the world but not the single God she believed in wholeheartedly.

I didn't share her faith. Neither did Dad. We both were raised as Christians and Catholics, taught to believe in God from a young age, but we just didn't. We believed the world was as it was, and that was it.

Slowly, ever so snail-crawling slowly, Mica's slow breathing fades to nothing. Blue-white mist encased her body, but her spirit doesn't rise like all the others did.

Instead, it sinks, disappearing into the bed and floorboards.

I know that this was because of me, that my mother was too angry at her last living child to show herself to me.

It was a kinder punishment than I realized at the time.