Thirteen: M is for Music

My voice is music to your ears, I guess, but listening to it on high volume will make you go deaf, you know.

"'Lucky I'm in love with my best friend, lucky to have been where I have been'," Lance crooned somehow as he dangled his head back over the side of Keith's bed.

"I thought Hunk was your best friend," Keith pushed him up and returned to his essay.

"Ah, true. It's just a song, though. You said you like my music, didn't you?"

"I liked it until you got 'Cotton Eyed Joe' stuck in my head."

Lance stared at the constellations on Keith's ceiling until he couldn't tell the Big Dipper and Pegasus apart. Keith's grandmother had painted the entire room before her grandson had been born. Despite growing old enough to move to the adjacent bedroom, which had a larger closet, Keith clung to his room rather passionately. This was quite alright with Lance.

The Cuban reached out his hand and combed it through the fluffy top of Keith's hair. Keith meowled in protest. He could probably talk to their future cat, what with all the noises he could make.

"I know you did more essays for all the tech schools, but do you really have to submit an extra one for the Garrison? You're so extra. They said you could send in your common app one."

Keith stretched his hands, which for once were bare. "I'm applying pretty late as it is. I need to put more effort in. You applied during Early Decision one, didn't you?"

"Your dad was too iffy about you being in space," Lance whined. "I wanna cuddle. Cradle me in your arms."

"Later. Let me finish it now."

"Lie on top of me like a cat, mullet."

Keith didn't bother responding. He rubbed his eye and continued typing.

Lance rolled onto his back and counted stars for a moment before a tune came to his mind. With a lazy swipe at Keith's desk, he secured his phone and started playing the song. Hello, Pokémon trainer Jeremy Shada.

And Keith would be honored to join their piloting program. The end. Thanks for reading. He closed his eyes and leaned back, touching Lance's leg due to the proximity. The Garrison was probably hungry for fresh meat this year; there had been fewer applications last year due to the NASA rocket failure during the launch that had coincided with the first deadline, despite the only loose affiliation between the two programs, and the acceptance rate was low overall. American parents were reluctant to allow their children to commit to traveling through space, and, in many cases, the Garrison didn't want them anyway. Keith had convinced his parents of his passion. Not that he was interested in ice samples or anything. He wanted to fly.

The Korean shut his laptop off and put it on his desk. He got onto his bed. "Move over. This is my room."

"Twixter" shut off with the obnoxious click of Lance's phone. Who kept their ringer up so high? He shifted so Keith could curl up behind him. Lance hummed. "That's better."

Keith could comfortably lean his cheek against Lance's back, so he did. "It would be cool to go on a mission on the same ship, wouldn't it? Us piloting, Hunk as engineer, and Pidge on communications."

"Yeah. It could happen. It would be fun to have you co-piloting for me."

"Keep dreaming. I'm the big spoon here," Keith blew at Lance's ear to annoy him.

"We'll see about that."

Lance's minute obsession with Make Out Monday resurfaced when his phone began to ring out with "Hope Less Romantics". Sure, Jeremy Shada was kinda cute, but turning on his ringer just to play the ringtones was extra. Showing off his practiced laziness, Lance picked it up without moving anything but his arm and hand. "Hola, estás llamando Lance. Nah, bro, I have your contact saved. I'm just messing with ya. Say that again?

"Oh, cool. I'll put you on speaker."

"Matt wants to hold a mini info session at school about the Garrison," Pidge re-explained. "Either we ask the principal for an assembly or we announce it and hold it in the library."

"Honerva's library, or Allura's?" Keith quipped.

"Duh, Matt's. Of course we're gonna ask Allura! Space Dad will be on the panel; what did you think we were gonna do?"

"Sounds cool. Whose turn is it to announce?" Lance yawned.

"Hunk is always asking for us, so he should say it this time, as long as he doesn't mess up. Help me write the announcement: 'Students interested in applying to the Galaxy Garrison space program are invited to attend...'"

Keith scoot up so he wouldn't be muffled by Lance's shoulder. "They're invited to attend 'an information panel with several off-duty members of the program. It will be held on the second floor of the public library, in the conference room, twenty minutes after school and last an hour.' Anyone other than Shiro and Matt going to be there?"

"Mr. Coran, the Chem teacher. Some other people. Maybe we'll ask Allura to pitch in."

"Allura's from the Garrison?" Lance tried to raise his eyebrow inquisitively, but ended up lifting both of them.

Pidge made a soft noise of amusement, barely a puff of air. "I forgot to mention it. She said she's doing graduate classes until they call her. She's a scientist, like Dad, so she could go to her Master's before they want her. And Space Dad says he'll be called to a mission in a few years, too, so they might hold out until both of them can go, since he was a good pilot for the Kerberos mission."

Application season was drawing to a close for the overachieving seniors, so the panel would be full of juniors, future go-getting juniors (current sophomores), and... fish. Keith cringed internally at just the thought, but he had to go make Shiro and Matt feel better. He had his own questions, anyway.

"See ya there, Pidge," Lance ended the call. He looked back at Keith. "I should get going. Mamá's gonna yell at me if I don't hurry."

Keith rolled off the bed and onto his feet. "I'll drive you. C'mon."