XII. How Soon Is Now?

Lucy had left and Stevie and Lindsey were left alone together.

Stevie decided to make her way back inside, to where the party was and she went to find her girls.

Karen approached Stevie when she saw her walk through the door again. She came in with a blank expression. She wasn't hurt or anything yet. She was sort of relieved they knew everything.

"She left," Karen told her boss.

"I know," she nodded. "I told her, she knows, Lindsey knows. There is nothing to hide anymore. It's over."

"Where's Lindsey?"

"He's outside. I don't know if he left or not. Where's Sharon or Lori?"

Karen began scanning the room for the other two ladies. They were in a corner talking. Karen pointed them out and Stevie made her way to them.

Stevie plopped in an empty chair and stayed with them most of the night. Stevie was able to get along normally, though she stayed quiet. They didn't ask what was going on just because, they had a feeling of what happened and they felt Stevie needed some time to let it really sync. They stayed with Stevie just to comfort her if she wanted to say something. Stevie had also asked Karen about her phone and it turned out Lori had it because, Stevie had left it on a table at a different party. Lori had forgotten about it since Stevie kept it on silent, so she wouldn't have to hear it.

Lindsey had left and so Lori gave Stevie her phone to text him. After a while, Elijah came up to Stevie and he let her know he was worried about Lucy. He didn't know where she was.

"Hey," he said as he squatted in front of her.

"Hi, honey."

"Do you know where Lucy is?" he asked, slightly concerned.

"She's fine," Stevie assured.

"How do you know? she left a really long time ago."

"She's with her father," her tone was completely monotone, but sincere. Stevie never thought those words would ever leave her mouth. It's not that she never wanted them together, it was just telling them that was the issue.

Elijah semi nodded because, like Stevie he knew that could go in a couple different ways. He'd known Lucy for almost seven years and there's never been one ounce of her father mentioned. So this father thing was just as new to him, as it was to any of the women there and Lindsey.

Lindsey ended up driving around for a while and finally he spotted his daughter at a park and she was sitting on a swing. It was late so the park was empty and quiet. It was actually peaceful and when he seen her she was staring at the ground and she was in space. He could tell she was in deep thought and he didn't want to bother her, but he wanted to talk to her. Or at least try. He started to approach the swings and she could sense a person, so she naturally looked up to see who it was.

"I'm sorry for leaving so abruptly," Lucy apologized to Lindsey as he went for the the swing beside her.

"It's alright," he kind of chuckled as he sat down on the swing beside her.

There was a long silence between the two and it was just all about them taking in their new surroundings.

"You know, if I'd have known," he paused.

She looked up at him.

"I'd have told you. Regardless of what your mother would've said," he said bluntly.

"Would you have wanted me, if you knew about me?" she asked.

"Of course. I would have loved you, just as your mom did. I know it's very soon, but I'd love to get to know you and maybe," he stopped. "I don't know. Maybe we could try to be friends. I don't know what your feelings are, but..."