XXIII. Keeping Faith

The whole day consisted of Stevie sleeping and eating lightly throughout the day. She had also gotten accompanied by her assistant, daughter, and son in-law. She was pretty out of it, but by night, she was more in her senses.

The doctor came in and carried a clipboard with him as he had been.

Still, Lindsey was by the star's side. He hadn't left at all and wasn't planning to, unless it was to get clothes and leave for an hour at the most. In this time, he couldn't think of another place to be. He had to be with her, holding her hand.

"Good evening, missus Buckingham---how are you feeling?" the doctor first asked.

"Well, I'm sore," she tried not to laugh because, that hurt like hell.

"You will be for a few days. You can leave tomorrow afternoon. I have to tell you now, you do have a small blocked artery. It is growing, but we couldn't take it out and replace it. You were beginning to wake up at the end of the operation."

"Okay, is it dangerous?" she asked. He said small, so she needed to know risks for her own sake.

"You have to take it easy and that is no questions asked. Absolutely nothing that can stress you out. You can't over exert yourself at all," he ordered. "We have already given the medication for the heart murmur, which the cardiologist told you about a while ago. I wasn't aware of that till the operation. But that second surgery had to happen as soon as you are able."

"I understand that, completely," she assured.

"We have to hold off on the tour, babe," Lindsey rubbed her knee. "We have rehearsal in a few months and we aren't going to make you do that."

"That really sucks... I'll have to call Mick," she added.

"Flying wouldn't at all be good for you, the altitude would be a problem," the doctor added.

Stevie nodded. "It's fine we have next year to start," she kind of swiped under Lindsey's eye with one of her famous, gentle smiles.

~

When the next day arrived, Stevie and Lindsey would be heading home and she couldn't have been more thrilled, not to mention their daughter. Lucy had been so upset to be in the hospital and she wanted her mother home.

Pulling into their gated courtyard, Lindsey parked right in front. The drive had been slower, since he didn't want to send any panic through his wife. He knew he could be a wild driver sometimes, so he made an effort to be cautious and not stop so quickly. He knew she was still pretty sore and the small bumps would be uncomfortable. He got stepped off the car and quickly went around to help his wife out. He opened the door and stood close to guide her down.

Stevie put her hand out for him to take. She stepped down carefully and leaned against him a little on the lazy side. She was in the silk pajamas he'd brought her and her hair was all curly and natural. She wore sunglasses and she had her slipper-boots on.

When they were making their way to the front steps, the front door opened and out came Lucy and Elijah.

"Hi, mommy!" she kind of yelled because, she was tense and excited at the same time. She was worried for how her mother was doing, but she relieved to see her home and... alive, above all.

The couple came down to help Lindsey, even though help wasn't exactly needed.

"Hi, baby," she let off a small smile as they walked up the few steps.

"Could you get her overnight bag?" Lindsey asked Elijah, gesturing to the SUV.

Elijah nodded and took the keys before making his way, while Lucy and Lindsey were on either side guiding Stevie in to the house.