Missing

"They took her. Where is my baby?" She doesn't seem to be saying it to anyone in particular. She just seems frantic and upset.

Iyana and I look at one another and without speaking a word began to walk over to Ms. Harper, my neighbor, to see what is going on. I have no idea what we think we can do about anything, but who just turns away from a person in need? Obviously, something has happened to her daughter, Laney. We never knew Laney well. She went to a different school, but once in a while we would see her outside and chat for a bit. She seemed nice enough, but we didn't really get to know her well. Hopefully, she just stayed out too long with some friends. Hopefully, this is all just a mother reacting over what is nothing more than a rebellious teenager.

Ms. Harper looked directly in my eyes and screams. "What happened to her? Why weren't you protecting her?" I pause for a second. Whatever happened couldn't possibly be my fault. Why isn't she looking at Iyana? She's the crazy one.

Iyana and I make it halfway into the street when the cop car comes flying mere inches in front of us and pulls into Ms. Harper's yard. I think I would stand here frozen if it weren't for Iyana. She grabs my arm to turn us back around. "I'm sure that whatever the problem is they can take it from here." She says to me.

"I know. I just can't help but want to rally round someone in this state." I say helplessly. I try to skip over how she was just seconds ago asking me why I hadn't done something to prevent whatever happened. I guess it is simply the emotions and everything that comes with it.

An officer walks over calling out to us. Really, someone else who thinks we have something to do with this? "Hey, can I talk to you girls for a second?" Really, someone else who thinks I have something to do with this.

"Yes officer," Iyana says to her with an all too natural confident and worry-free air about her. I have not even done anything and I am scared at the thought of an officer even noticing us at a moment like this.

"Which one of you lives here?" He asks

"Uh, I- I do." I clumsily stammer out. I am already guilty as charged with how nervous I must seem right now. I'm going to be their number one suspect.

"And are you 18 or over - miss?" The officer asks. I look around frantically between the officer and Iyana.

"Kayla. I'm 17."

"Iyana." She puts a hand up as if to give a reluctant hello.

"Alright, girls my name is Officer Saks. Ms. Kayla you speak with your parents let them know I need them present so that I may ask you a few questions. You are not in any trouble. I just want to see if you would know anything at all that could help us. Can you do that." He adjusts his pants which makes me fearful of where his hand is going.

"I'll make them aware, but sir I don't know anything." I feel like a target. Why does he insist on speaking to my family so much?

He reaches in his pocket and hands me his business card. I let in a sharp inhale. He looks at me and slowly moves. There is a look of understanding in his eyes.

"Well if I'm not still over here when they arrive, then have them give me a call." He walks back toward a tornado of a distraught mother, officers, detectives, and an ambulance. I look at his business card. For some reason holding the card of an officer in my hand makes debilitating fear explode in my chest. My knees get a bit shaky and my legs feel weak. Iyana puts an arm around me and helps me inside.

"Nothing happened Kayla. Just come on inside."

"Alright, I will call my mom and tell her what's up." I tell her after I regain my strength. "Are you sure you don't want to wait until it calms down out there?"