Officer Saks

My parents are stunned. Hell, so am I. My dad shifts around in his seat uncontrollably. I can already tell that he feels like coming after me will make it better. I guess his hatred for me is an automatic outlet. His disdain for me is also easier for me to focus on than the fact that a police officer sitting down is telling me that my sister is or will soon be dead.

Why? Why across the street? I don't even know that I realize what it is I'm saying. I just allow myself to continue talking. Why did no one come here first?

My dad is pointing and yelling at me. That's not exactly the surprise of the hour, but what he is saying is. Officer Saks flinches and stiffens as if he is preparing himself to intervene, but he waits. How can you be more concerned with where they were more than my daughter. He hits himself in the chest as he says 'my daughter'. It is not surprising that he is so upset over Maria missing. It would be a surprise if he felt this strongly for my well – being. He and Maria got a long fairly well though. She kept to herself, but they would still have civil conversations about their days and things of the sort. It still does not make sense, his relationship with me that is. I am asking a perfectly sensible question and he is ready to snap at me.

She is my sister. I am shocked at all of this. I don't want any of it to be true Daddy. Why are you upset with me? I don't know anything. I wish I did though. Now that I have spoken I realize how shocked I sounded that he would talk to me this way. Maybe that will keep officer Saks from feeling like he is abusive -which he is not- not physically anyway. Adversely, I hope his outrage does not back fire and leave the police thinking that I am a prime suspect. I don't even dare to wipe my face as I realize how much I am crying. It just doesn't seem worth it right now. As compliant as I still feel when I am around my father I still hate showing emotions because of him. I do not like for him to see how much he affects me in this way.

Everyone let's calm down. I may have gotten ahead of myself by saying that. Let's all keep cool heads and talk. Officer Saks says in an authoritative and smooth tone. He eyes us all feverishly. I guess he was not expecting this when he came over to our modern day home.

My mom stands up and follows the officers lead as she tries to comfort my dad. Honey. It's alright. I'm sure she didn't mean to upset you this way. She is just a dumb girl. Let's talk about this with him alright. I love you. I'm here in this with you. He accuses me of not caring about my possibly deceased sister and she is saying how she loves him. My emotions are intensifying. I couldn't afford to live here if I were to say things I actually mean. I try to take deep silent breaths so it won't seem as if I have an attitude. Sitting down, I wrap my arms around myself as if it will contain everything I am feeling right now. I miss my sister and I hope she is okay, but I hate my parents. Right now, I wish it were them instead of her. I feel a pang of guilt at allowing myself to think it, but with how they treat me I am sure it goes both ways.

From the facts we have now, we have reason to believe that your daughter is in grave danger. He takes a breath and pauses as if he is bracing himself for any more unpleasant outburst. Unfortunately that is all we can say for now. He turns and looks at me. As to why we went there first, I also can't say. There are other victims involved. Though I must urge you to not embark on your own investigation and ask questions of others. Everyone's privacy is to be protected, and it would be the greatest help if you could bring any information to us, and leave the for the police and investigators to handle. We can't help but sit here in silence as we take in everything he is saying. Well, I am trying to take it all in at least. I can't say much for mommy and daddy – dearest sitting across from me. There are so many questions I want to ask. But if answering my questions was all it took this would all be over by now.