Case of the Monday's

Sitting in math class this Monday is unlike any other. It's still just as interesting as always but I can't stop thinking about how I was questioned about an alleged murder this past weekend, the murder of my own sister no less. How do I play a part in something like this? I feel like everything is spiraling out of control for me right now.

Hey. I get a friendly jab in my shoulder. Fantasizing about a mathletes date with Pythagoras? Nolan says to me.

No. I was questioned by the police. I will tell you more about it at lunch. I say in a hushed voice. My eyes dart around as I say it as if government spies are lurking around nearby. His eyes go wide and he nearly chokes on air. I stifle a laugh, but it is nice to catch him off guard with my crazy escapades as well.

I had a wild couple of nights out. You will not believe what guys I – well- we will talk about that at lunch too boo. Nolan says in the way that only he can. He is wearing feathered earrings and a fitted shirt with skinny jeans. He recently came out with his sexuality. He still goes between how he thinks he should ask and dress. I think it is a part of him figuring out who he is now that he is not as afraid to let people know that he is gay.

Nolan is a great friend of mine. Besides Iyana he is the closest one I have. He is gay and he is still getting comfortable with himself in that way. When it comes to announcing it loudly and proudly he is not full there yet, but he is a lot closer than he once was. I am open and honest about my support for most lifestyles so he tells me all about the things he does with other guys. Iynan loves it, because they can both swap stories. Personally I like to live vicariously through them in that way.

As interesting as I am sure his tales of this weekend will be I cannot help but think about the craziness that mine brought. I have not talked to Iyana since speaking with Officer Saks and my parents this weekend either, so I have to catch them both up on everything that happened.

Yet another class seems to end without me realizing I am even in it for half the time. I sit up front and to the farthest corner. My mind goes to why I always pick this seat to sit in. Everyone has their area in each class, but perhaps without as much reason as I have. I like to be in the front and ready to answer any and all questions, but I don't like to be in the direct view of my fellow class-mates too much. I may be used to getting picked on, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me sometimes. I can't help myself. I know that my peers hate that I am always quick to raise my hand because it makes them feel bad for never doing it. Sometimes people would even sit behind me and whisper mean things into my ear for an entire class period. I know that I am nerdy and socially awkward. I know that I look like a teenage girl and not like a 23 year old like other girls here do, but I don't deserve to be treated that way. I feel like the only way someone like me will be taken seriously is if I commit suicide. Fortunately, I am not in that place. I plan on being one of the people who lives to see that it does get better. So I guess that strategically deciding where I sit is my way of getting the best of both situations. I go more so unnoticed by other people and still noticed the teacher.

I will need everyone to work in pairs for about fifteen to twenty minutes on the next assignment in your book. My teacher announces. Remember people this is not social hour.

The room suddenly fills with low hums of people wanting to work with their friends. I look around to see who I could possibly want to be paired with that isn't already with someone. I always want to at least try to look for someone in unfortunate cases such as these. If I am in a class with a bunch of people I don't want to even breathe the same air as I try to stay silent so I can work alone and unnoticed. Hey Chaz, you want to work together? Chaz, the hottest guy I have ever seen is sitting two rows over from me and all the way in the back. He has curly hair like Corey from that nineties show 'Boy Meets World'. He is a little taller than Iyana but not quite six feet. He has such a friendly disposition. That's what attracts me to him the most, but it is also what makes me hate that he hangs out with such mean people.