Chapter 69 - Falling Short

Idk if any of you guys watch Riverdale but Falling Short was the song that was playing when Cheryl and Toni almost had their first kiss

It kills me every time

Ps I saw 5sos a few days ago and we were on Calum's side of the stage and it's safe to say I am fucking deceased NO JOKE

also *warning* cringey content ahead

I curled into Calum further, my body shivering in fear and coldness. His large hand ran down to my back, gently trailing up and down, trying to generate heat. His body shielded mine, hiding me from all the evil that sat outside this room.
I tilted my head upwards, catching Calum's eye. His eyebrows were furrowed and lips were locked tight. He looked so stressed out and angry.

"Cal..?" I softly said, breaking the long awaited silence. He nodded his head in acknowledgment, urging me to continue.

"I don't want to die here. Not yet."

"Stella, I need you to understand this- I will not let them even lay a finger on you. Okay? You're not going to die here, I promise you, I'm going to get us out of here." He said, movement halting on my back.

"But Calum, there's no way out."

"I'm going to get us out of here." Was all he said in return.

I tucked myself back into his chest, closing my eyes as his movements continued to trace down my back. I breathed in his scent, letting it calm me down slowly. I admired Calum's optimism right now, but a part of me couldn't help but feel bad. Even I knew that there was truly no way out; the only places we had left to go were either to our grave or a cult.

"Do you remember Michael?" He asked out of the blue. I immediately nodded, wrapping my fingers around the fabric of his shirt, trying to clutch him even closer.
"He's here. I saw him behind the leader, he kept looking at me for some reason. I think he'll be able to help us escape."

"Do you not remember what he did to you? Us?" I reiterated.

"I know, but he owes it to me. He has debt to pay, too. I won't give him an option, either he helps us or I'll kill him."

"Calum," I softly said, pressing my palm against his chest. "You can't just kill him, that'll draw more unwanted attention to you."

"I don't care, I told you I was getting us out of here, and I mean it." He sternly said, pulling away from me slightly. Cal placed his hand on my cheek as I tilted my head upwards, our tired eyes meeting. His fingertips pushed into the edge of my hair, gently pushing it back from my face.
"Okay? I'm getting us out of here. Nothings going to stop me from saving you."

I gently nodded my head, watching as his eyes faltered ever so slightly. He awaited some kind of response, but I gave him nothing.

"Okay?" He desperately repeated.

"Yes, Calum." I whispered. He pressed his lips to mine, firmly at first, but then softened as I began to pull away. He held me in his arms, our lips stationary against each other's as the passion ignited. I didn't want this to ever end, and the fact it was even a possibility had me exhaustedly sad.

He was the best thing that could've ever happened to me, and now he was slipping through my fingers. This could well and truly be the end of us.

I woke up from my light sleep the second it welcomed me, my eyes flying open to be met with Calum's bloodshot ones. He sat up, mouth parting as our front door slammed open. I turned my body, the sleep fogging up my mind entirely. I felt so disoriented and frazzled, it took me a while to actually grasp where we were and what was happening.