Cover-Up and Tears

Tom's P.O.V
I woke up to the sun streaming into my room. My face was still a little swollen from where Dad had hit, but luckily it was going away.
I hopped out of bed, tiredly walking over to my closet.
What should I wear today?
I grabbed a pair of lemon yellow high waisted shorts and a black crop-top. I made my way into the bathroom, where I showered, dressed, and did my hair.
After I finished, I headed downstairs, where Dad looked like he had been waiting for me.
"I got you something." He said gruffly, throwing a Walmart bag at me.
I caught it, and carefully opened it. On the inside was some foundation and concealer.
"For the marks." He added.
I nodded, and heading back upstairs to try out the product. It was full coverage, so it covered all my bruises.
I headed back downstairs, and he gave me a nod of approval. He shoved a list into my hands. I looked at it, seeing it was our grocery list. One item I couldn't help but notice was the alcohol.
"Dad, I'm not old enough to get alcohol."
"I don't care, have someone else buy it." He shrugged, turning in football.
"It'll probably cost more money to have a guy but it than you." I stated, trying to reason with him.
"Then don't use money." He said.
I stood confused for a second, before my face lit up a fiery red.
I can't believe he told me that!!!
"Dad, I will never do that. I'll just use the money."
I started heading for the door, only to feel a pair of eyes staring harshly into my back.
But, I didn't dare look back. I kept walking.
"Thomas."
I flinched.
"Do not use my money." He said.
I turned back at him, using the harshest tone I dared to have with him.
"If you want it, then you get it. I'm not going to."
And with that, I left. I knew Dad wouldn't dare hit me in public, but it'd be worse once we're alone.
I walked down the street, trying to calm down. As I walked, I felt a pair of hands grab my sides.
"Boo."
I screamed, not hearing his footsteps and remembering the fight I just had.
I breathed out, trying to make my breathing even once more.
"Tord, don't do that." I said, looking behind me.
"Your face looks better." He said, lightly brushing my cheek.
I decided not to tell him it was makeup because I wouldn't want to see his disappointed eyes.
"Did you need something?" I asked.
"Nothing in general, just a question." He said.
"What is it?"
"Do you think people have a purpose?"
I took a moment and thought over the question before answering.
"I do. I believe we are here for a specific task, and once we've completed it, we die."
"That's harsh." He laughed.
"It doesn't have to be! For example, someone's purpose may be to make someone happy for the rest of their life, or maybe their purpose is to invent something. And they don't have to die right away!" I argued.
He chuckled, kicking a rock that was in front of us.
We continued walking into town, soon reaching the heart of it.
After I did my shopping and we were heading  back, the comfortable silence that had been there soon faded. I could tell Tord wanted to ask a question.
"Do you want to ask me something?"
"Yeah... I just don't know how to put it."
"Well, just go for the most direct way."
"How come you let people push you around?" He spoke, sucking in a deep breath of air.
"What do you mean?" I asked as I felt my face heat up.
"Well, look! You let your dad hurt you, and you can't stand up for yourself."
"I can't control what he does, Tord!" I said, tears threatening to spill.
"But you could try!" He spat back.
The tears ran down my face, betraying my will. I tried to hold in the sobs, making the come out strangled.
He sighed, and brushed my tears away. But, the water mixed with make-up made it easy to wipe the product off, revealing the bruises and marks that had once been covered up.
I quickly whipped my head back, only to have it yanked back.
He held my face gently with his hands, studying the marks.
I slipped out of his grip and ran, not wanting to get scolded.
I ran back to the house, setting the items in the kitchen.
"You get my beer?"
My Father spoke, and my blood ran cold.
"No. I told you I wasn't cause I am not old enough."
I looked him in the eyes, willing my face to keep straight and emotionless. But, just like earlier, my face gave way and I cowered under his gaze.
I watched as he walked up to me, towering over my eyes.
I tilted my head up to look at him, only to get struck down by his hand.
I kept my eyes on the floor.
He went back to his chair without another word, and I ran outside and over to Tord's house.
I knocked and prayed to God it was Tord who answered, and he did.
We went up to his room, where we talked about recent events. After that, I gave him a smile and thanked him.
He returned it, and I left, feeling a bit better.
I snuck into my house, and went upstairs into my room. I climbed into my bed, not caring to change my clothes.
I just hope I can finish my task soon.