Chapter Four. Pool

Keith shoved Hunk out of the way of a shot.

"Thanks Keith!" Hunk yelled shouldering his cannon. Keith ignored him and focused on the task at hand. The five paladins formed a ring in the center of the training room fending off shots from the simulator. Lance stood next to him gripping his new broadsword which Keith had come back to from the Blade of Marmora. He looked determined as sweat dripped down his face...

Keith felt a shot whistle past his face and he was immediately snapped back to reality. He tried to push the thought that he was just admiring Lance into the back of his mind.

"Training sequence has ended." The mechanical voice echoed throughout the room. Keith relaxed his pose and retracted his bayard. The other paladin's weapons also retracted. Pidge threw up a hand and high-fived Shiro's metal arm. Shiro turned to face the assembled paladins.

"You've all done exceptionally well. I think its time we deserve a break." Shiro said. Keith stumbled forwards as Lance punched his shoulder.

"Hey, you did-uh you did great today." Lance told him a bit uncertainly. Keith flashed him a small smile as he felt his cheeks blaze.

"Thanks, you too." Keith said and promptly turned and exited the training room before Lance could say anything else.

~KINDOFATIMESKIP~

He stood at the doors of his room and slipped in as they opened. As they closed behind him he sighed sitting down on the edge of his bed and placing his bayard on its usual hook. One thing kept flitting across his mind. Lance. Why had he stopped to stare so stupidly, so openly at his fellow blue paladin. He had completely frozen. The more he thought, he remembered a fluttering feeling in his chest. It was strange. The feeling was one he'd felt when he'd discovered that Krolia was his mother. Happiness? LOvE??? Keith shook his head and let out a chuckle. He'd known he was always probably gay. Women simply didn't draw him in. But to think that he'd developed a crush on Lance of all people...

    Keith sighed and began to peel his paladin armor off of him and shook out his long black hair. He hung his armor back up in his closet before stripping down to nothing and putting on his swim shorts. He wanted to head to the pool to clear his thoughts.
Wrapping the red towel from his bathroom around his back, he peered anxiously up and down the corridor of his room. Seeing it was all clear, he darted bare-footed down the metal hallway and stood in front of the castle's elevator rapidly assaulting the button to go upwards. 

Keith stared at the closed doors of the elevator as he felt the lift shudder and lift upwards. He sighed and leaned against the back of the elevator. Ever since he'd found his mother, he'd been feeling different. Out of place with the paladins ever since he came back to Voltron. He was Galran. Perhaps he truly belonged with the Blade rather than Voltron. He'd given his blade back to it's rightful owner, his mother before he returned to the team. Ever since then, Allura had stepped down while Lance had regained his old position as the Blue Paladin and Keith resumed his position as the Red Paladin. The team was back together, yet Keith felt like an outsider. He'd missed many of the paladin's newest adventures and he found that he'd gained lilac-colored slashes across his back and up his neck that continued to creep and elongate longer and longer with passing time. Although he no longer resented himself for being half-Galra, it still felt weird with the team. He was an alien to them. Even Allura and Coran.

Keith was jolted out of his thoughts when the doors slid open to reveal the pool. He stepped out, half checking to see if anybody was watching, before he shifted his towel and placed it next to the pool. He felt self conscious about his markings and old scars. But, mostly his markings. They were a constant reminder that his kind were the ones that had slain so many innocents. He wasn't ashamed of his mother, she'd done nothing wrong, but what of his grandfather? Or possible relatives? Were they part of the Galran rule?

Keith cautiously dipped a toe into the water and felt the warm current lick around his feet. He grinned and slipped into the water closing his eyes to feel the warmth seep through his body. He relaxed and waded across to the opposite side with lazy ease. The red paladin took a deep breath before plunging under. He felt the water swirl around his face and he quickly pulled up gasping and shaking his soaked hair. The water was nice. He felt cleansed of his worries and he sighed contentedly and sank his body lower while he clung to the wall for support. Deciding he wanted to go under again, he glanced down and inhaled sharply at his reflection. Keith yelped and scrabbled backwards distorting the mirror image of his own face staring back at him. The markings, they had spread.

(Idk that's kinda the idea of the marks, a five minute sketch brought to you by me)

Keith forced himself to look at his reflection a bit more clearly. The lilac slashes wrapped around his neck trailing down his chest while three gill-like marks ribbed his neck. However, the most distinct trait were the slashes that mimicked his mothers'. Two streaks protruding under his jawline and reaching up under his eyes. He stared astonished at himself and he raised a curious but hesitant hand to brush the strange purple marks. It was true. He wasn't like the others at all. The marks were simply more proof that perhaps the team didn't want him back. He should have stayed with the Blade.    
    Keith put his face in his hands. The paladins would ask questions. He didn't want them to know. He didn't want them to see him in a different light, or feel that he should go back with his mother once they found out that Keith had found Krolia. He could feel himself shaking. He shrank back and propped his arms out of the water onto the side of the pool and buried his face in the crook of his elbow. He couldn't hear the doors to the pool slide open. Or the person that had entered the room. He could barely sense anything with his stupid stupid tears flooding from his cheeks. He couldn't hear the person slide into the water and sit next to him.

    "Keith? Are you okay? What's with the weird purple marks?" He heard a concerned voice say.

    "Please, I don't want to talk about it." Keith mumbled from under his arm.

    "Keith! Why are crying? Are you hurt?" The said voice asked more concerned. Keith felt a light hand touch his shoulder. He didn't bother moving but shivered. However Keith still refused to face the other.

    "Please, you don't want to see me." Keith replied.

    "Keith G E R A L D Kogaine, I swear I will go tell Shiro if you don't talk to me you mullet head."

Keith cracked a small smiled. Maybe someone did care.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wowow I think we all know who it is okay bye.