Chapter Five: Emotions

"Keith, please." Lance continued. Keith raised his head from his hands.

    "Do I have to show you? He muttered hugging his arms together self-consciously back still towards the blue paladin. Lance had a hand on his shoulder.

    "Keith, whatever you're going through, I can help." Lance continued in a quiet voice. Suddenly he grabbed Keith's lower arm and attempted to turn him around.  Keith shook his hand off and turned around on his own, arms crossed across his chest defensively. He found it easy to look anywhere except Lance's worried gaze. However, he couldn't help but notice Lance's eyes widen for a split second. Keith heard a chuckle. Lance was laughing. Is he laughing at me? Am I really that pitiful?

    "Keith, what's the problem? These marks? What are you worried about?" Lance asked. Keith looked down at his reflection in the water.

    "I feel like the team was better off without me. These stupid marks prove that I'm not one of the them." Keith muttered.

    "I guess I'm ashamed or being Galran still, and you all had so many adventures and you all seemed so much happier better off without me." Keith said looking into Lance's gaze for the first time.

    "I feel like I belong elsewhere, I found my mother Lance. I found my mother, one of the fiercest Blade warriors. By blood I'm meant to be with the Blade, not here with the team." Keith said. He felt salty tears pricking the back of his eyes.

    "Ever since I came back, I don't know I just feel as though I'm not meant to be here. I practically kicked Allura off of her lion to fit me back into Red." He finished sinking lower into the water. He was exactly sure why he told Lance all of this. It might have been because he trusted him. And he knew Lance, despite their banters, must have some level of trust in him. Lance had once confided in Keith when he felt like the odd man out. When he felt like he didn't belong. Keith trusted Lance, despite being a goofball, he'd been empathetic.

    "You do matter to the team. You belong here! You accompanied Shiro, Pidge, Hunk and I when we first founded Voltron! You are the red paladin and we all need you here. I need you here." Lance said placing his hands on Keith's shoulders.

    "You shouldn't be ashamed about your markings, your mother is a remarkable warrior and you should be proud of that. The Blade has so many other warriors-and true they'll lose another remarkable warrior, but Voltron will have gained a family member back." Lance said never breaking his gaze with Keith's violet eyes.

    "I gained a valued friend back." Lance said.

    "But-" Keith started. But Lance interrupted shaking his head.

    "Shh. Stop hurting yourself over whether you belong or not. I can tell you, you matter to us, to me. Come here." Lance suddenly wrapped his arms around the smaller red paladin. Keith's instincts kicked in to jerk away but this time he didn't. Lance was surprisingly warm and he'd placed his chin lightly on top of Keith's wet jet colored hair. Keith was ,hesitant at first but after a second of hesitation he unfolded his arms from underneath Lance and looped them around his back as he buried his face in Lance's bare shoulder. He didn't care. He could feel the tears flow lightly and he clung to Lance tighter. Keith just wanted someone to listen to him. Someone to support him when he needed it most. As of now, that person was Lance.

    Keith gently unlooped himself and stood back wiping his eyes.

    "Thank you." He muttered. Lance seemed to brighten up and patted his back.

    "Come on, we've got to go to dinner Mullet. Or Shiro will have our heads." He said. Keith smiled as the two hopped out of the water. Keith grabbed his towel and wrapped it around his back again. Lance was rubbing his towel vigorously through his hair. Keith was headed towards the elevator and had just stepped in when Lance jumped through just before the doors closed.

    The two paladins rode the elevator in an awkward silence. Neither knew much to say to each other. As the elevator stopped on the floor of the kitchen Keith stayed behind as Lance stepped out.

    "Aren't you coming?" Lance turned to ask. Keith shook his head.

    "No, I'm headed to bed. I'm tired. Just let the others know where I've gone." Keith said waving his hand. But Lance stayed where he was.

"Are you worried about the team seeing you?" He questioned. Keith looked uncomfortable.

"I'll tell them in the morning. Just let the others know that I was tired and not feeling well." Keith said. Lance gave a small smile.

"Alright, I'll see you later." Lance said turning and striding down the hall.

Keith zipped back up into the elevator back to the floor with the paladin's rooms. He hurried down the hall and darted inside his room just in case anybody was late to dinner. He still didn't want them to see his face. As soon as he got to his room, he stripped into his boxers and put on an overly large gray t-shirt. To his surprise and partial horror, he had purple streaks blossomed down his legs as well. Feeling tired and out of place, he flopped back onto his bed with a huff. At least Lance was there for him. The blue paladin was surprisingly sympathetic, and caring and annoying handsome. Keith's inner thoughts chimed up and he forced them away as he climbed under the covers. He scooted closer towards the wall so Lance wouldn't have to climb over him like Keith had done that morning.
Already expecting Lance in bed are we? Keith thought grinning slightly to himself before turning over to stare out at his room.

It was a while later when Keith heard the doors open. He lay facing the wall and did not bother to look over.

"Hey Lance-"

"It's Shiro." Shiro interrupted. Keith felt his heart race but he dared not look over at the black paladin.

"Keith are you feeling alright?" Oh no. What did that troublesome sharpshooter tell them?

"Yeah I'm feeling fine. I'm just tired." Keith mumbled doing his best to sound sleepy.

"Lance told us you were tired and headed up to sleep. Did he say something to upset you? I know you two have a rough time dealing with each other." Shiro said sitting down on the end of the bed. Keiths eyes widened. Shiro thought the he and Lance actually hated each other?

"No no, Lance is fine. I just, did a lot of training and working out today I'm tired." Keith said burying himself even more down under the safety of his covers.

"Alright, well just let me know if you need anything." Shiro said getting up to leave.

"Yeah okay." Keith muttered quickly as Shiro stepped out. Lance came in not a few moments after already in his t-shirt and boxers.
Keith turned and looked at him.

"Already changed?" He asked raising an eyebrow. Lance huffed and slid into the bed next to him. Their legs brushed and Keith felt a tingle.

"Shiro let me change in my room but forced me out afterwards." He muttered turning over. And suddenly Keith's nose was practically touching Lance's. Keith couldn't move. Did he really even want to? Lance didn't either. They layed their awkwardly gazing at each other before Keith broke the stare and looked up at the ceiling.

"Um, thank you. For comforting me you know, earlier." He muttered.

"Its nothing. You can always talk to me." Lance said also turning his gaze towards the ceiling.

"People don't usually care that much about my problems so thats why I close off my feelings." Keith muttered. He turned and flicked the lights off. Under the barely lit, dim lights lining the floors, he could barely make out the outlines of Lance's face.

"Goodnight." Lance murmured. Keith grunted in response as he stretched out. Under the little to know light, little did Keith know that once again, his face was inches from Lance, and Lance didn't bother moving but casually layed his arm across Keith's side. The two boys fell asleep warm and happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So sorry I haven't updated. I got back to school from vacation and school hecking sucks. I didn't have much time to write because I was busy with an assload of homework. Thank you all for ready and enjoyyy.