Chapter 3

Eileen POV

"What the HECK!" I yelled into my empty office. I stood abruptly and started pacing. Why? Why was he bugging me. I had told him to leave me alone. What was supposed to have been a simple business call had turned into a ranting, mocking, hurt filled arguement. 

I checked my phone. 7:00 pm. I was always at work late. I grabbed my leather brief case and my designer sunglasses. 

I strode out of my private office and locked the door behind me. I walked out to the main lobby and then exited the building. I fished around in my purse and found my keys. I pushed the unlock button and my Lamborghini came to life. The doors raised and I slipped behind the wheel. 

When I had first purchased the car, lots of people raised an eyebrow at a blonde woman behind the powerful car. I was a power hungry woman and figured my car should be one that made a lasting impression. 

The matte black supercar roared to life. I pulled out of my parking lot and speed into the busy streets of New York City. My mansion was located in Brooklyn, but my office was in Queens. Only a thirty minute drive but it gave me time to regroup my thoughts. 

Nicholas Winston. He had been my best friend in grade school, middle school, and highschool. He knew everything about me. He knew about my weaknesses. He knew about my passions. He needed to leave my thoughts. 

"Eileen, get it together!" I grabbed my phone and unlocked it. I went into my music station and clicked on my playlist. Syncing my phone with my car,  I looked up at the stoplight. The light flicked to green and I was off. 

Thoughts of Nicholas flew through my head. I needed to get control. Why was he bugging me? It has been four years. We had dated in highschool, but nothing serious. When we broke it off, we had remained friends. 

"One woman army" floated around in my car. I was a one woman army. My business was a product of that. Daddy had wanted to start a business but then he got into politics. I was his dream.  

The thirty minutes passed quickly and I pulled into my drive way. The gates to my personal drive opened and I pulled up to my garage. I pulled in and turned my car off. The doors raised powerfully and I stepped out. 

I opened my garage door leading into the my house. 

My teacup Pomeranian, Snowball, waddled over to me. 

"Hey baby

"Hey baby." I bent over and picked her up. She had been my graduation present from Daddy and Mama. Snow had gone through my rise to success and I think that she is probably more famous than I am. "Sorry mama was gone for so long."

Snow shook her head as if she were saying "Its okay, I understand." 

I reached up and flipped the lights on. My house was imaculate. I hardly was home but the thirty rooms were always cleaned. 

"Well Snow, how about a girls night?" I walked upstairs to change from my black pencil skirt and white blouse. Snowball wriggled to be set down and I obliged. 

I took off my work clothes and hung them nicely. I grabbed an over sized tee and a pair of  shorts. I walked into my huge bathroom and turned the faucet on. I washed my makeup off and then walked into my bedroom. Snow was curled on top of my bed and my purse was laying on my chair. 

"Ready baby?" I grabbed my fuzzy companion.

She nuzzled into my chest and let out a content whimper. 

I bounded down the grande stair case and went into the kitchen to grab a snack. Then we made our way downstairs to our movie theater. 

"What do you feel like watching, babe?" I asked my pup. She lifted one eyelid then went back to dozing. 

"Okay Rom-Com it is." I turned the giant TV on a flicked it to Netflix. I turned on 'Revenge of the Bridesmaids' and cuddled up with Snow. 

I spent the next two hours laughing and crying with the girls on the screen. I could understand their struggles. I really could. 

My phone ran as the credits rolled. 

"Hello this is Eileen Field." I had that line down to a tee. 

"Hello, Eileen." A dark voice rumbled into my ear. 

Oh no. I knew that voice all to well.

"Grant." I ground out. "What do you want?"

"Eileen, you hurt me." His voice was painfully smooth. "I was just calling to check up on my girl." 

"I am not your girl." I practically yelled. "You made that quite clear after you publicly humiliated me by cheating on me not once, not twice, but three times. The public was starting to wonder if I was stupid."

"I know we had our rough patch-"

I cut him off. "Listen to me. We never were going to work. You dated me because of my money and connections. You never truly loved me or had any thought about what your little scandals were doing to me." I huffed. "Leave me alone. If you ever so much as step within two hundred feet of me I will have my body guard leave a lasting reminder before I have the police haul you off for not listening to the restraining order. So Goodbye Grant." 

I wish I could have slammed the phone but a hearty push hopefully would get my message across. 

I could feel the tears coursing down my pale cheeks. I blindly dialed a number hoping it was my dad or mom. 

The person picked up after the second ring. "Eileen?" 

"He-called-again." I sobbed. 

"Whoa Leeny, who called?"

That voice it was deep and dark. That wasn't the voice of my daddy. It was the voice of Nicholas. 

"Eileen? Eileen what happened?" He sounded nervous. Nervous for me. About me. 

"Nicky, He called me. He- he called me his girl." I was sobbing uncontrollably now. 

"Who called you?" He was starting to sound angry. "Eileen?"

"Grant Jackson, my ex who... who.." I couldn't finish.

"Who what? Eileen what did he do to you?"

"He abused me." I whispered quietly. 

"HE WHAT!!!!" Nicholas was yelling into the phone now. "Eileen do you need me?"

I was about to say yes, but then I remembered who I was talking to. Nicholas Winston. The Enemy. Not my friend. 

"No. I am sorry for bothering you. Goodbye Nicholas."

"Wait Leeny-"

I hit the off button and sunk into a puddle at the edge of my bed.( I had walked upstairs while talking/threatening Grant.)

Snowball curled into me and I crawled into bed. Sobs wracked my strong body as I whimpered and cried. 

"I am Eileen Field. No one stands in my way." I repeated under my breath. 

I fell to sleep after hours of tossing and turning. Finally sleep. But it was not a peaceful sleep it was tormented with flashbacks and failures.