4

"Mom?" I called out as me and Chii burst into my mom's hospital room. She was laying in a hospital bed surrounded by monitors. "Mayana?" She opened her eyes. "Mom! You're OK!" I ran over to her and hugged her. Chii awkwardly stood in the corner of the room. "What did the doctor's say?" I asked my mom. My mom shrugged, indicating she hasn't spoken to any doctors. I nodded.
"Well, what a Christmas miracle if I do say so myself," Chii said. My mom looked alarmed. I forgot that she didn't know who Chii was. I had mentioned him a few times over phone calls.
"Mom, this is Chii." "Hello, I'm Chii. Mayana's... Boyfriend." I blushed. "NO NO mom he's not my boyfriend he is a peasant." Chii looked hurt. "I am no peasant!" My mom laughed. I looked at her and smiled.
"Well, Chii, you better treat my daughter with respect or your gonna get a spankin,'" my mom said in a scratchy voice. My smile faded away. "Mom, are you feeling alright?" I asked. It sounded like she had a sore throat or something. But my mom nodded. A doctor then walked into the room.
A very tall man with a black beard came in. He reminded me of Abraham Lincoln. "Excuse me, are you her daughter?" Abraham Lincoln asked me. I nodded. "Could I speak to you outside for a moment?" I nodded again and followed him out the door and into the hallway. "Listen. This will be a lot to take in. Especially on Christmas day. Your mother does not have a lot of time left. She has about a week or so." A week? OR SO? "What's wrong with her?" I could barley make out words considering I was currently choking on my own tears.
Abraham Lincoln shook his head. "We dont know." YOU DONT KNOW?! YOU WENT TO A DAMN MEDICAL SCHOOL AND LEARNED ALL ABOUT THIS DIDNT YOU?! I tried to contain my anger. "You... DONT KNOW?" I almost yelled. "Miss, please calm down." "CALM DOWN?" Chii stepped outside the hospital room and joined us in the hallway. He rested a hand on my shoulder. "Now, now Mayana."
I slapped his arm off of me. "Don't touch me!" I ran into the hospital room and sat down next to my mom. "What did the doctor say?" I started crying before I could answer my mom. Why was this happening to me? And why now of all times? OF ALL TIMES.
My mom placed a hand on my head and fiddled with my hair. "Its ok Mayana." She tried calming me down. "N-no. Its really not. You're gonna die in a week or so!" I blabbered out. My mom did not seem shooked or alarmed. She just moved her head up and down in a nodding motion.
"Mom... I don't want you to leave..." I whispered. "Oh sweetie I would never leave you. I will always be with you. As log as you always love me, I will remain in your heart forever." I started sobbing again and Chii walked in.
He sat next to the window in the hospital room. He looked outside and didn't say anything.
After I got over crying, we decided we should make the most of the time we have left together. Chii stayed with me and my mom at the hospital. We played board games, talked, and watched movies. Chii even stayed overnight at the hospital with me and my mom. Honestly, I couldn't love Chii anymore than I do right now.
Unfortunately, my mom's death came much too soon. The following Monday, she died in her sleep. At least that's what the doctors said. Good thing she didn't have to suffer some long painful death.
Chii attended my mother's funeral with me. I told my dad about what happened. He wouldn't be coming to the funeral though. I placed a bouquet of roses on my mother's grave. I cried all night that day, but Chii was there to comfort me. I wondered how his parents didn't worry about him. Especially after spending all those nights at the hospital. Chii had me wrapped around his arms all night while I sobbed. I cried for basically an entire week before realizing it was time to move on.
Chii had overall been really supportive. He was also the one sort if, I'm embarrassed to say, 'taking care' of me, but its true. Without him, I wouldn't of eaten anything these last days, considering the lack of energy to feed myself. He was the one prepraring all my meals and feeding them to me.
I was too tired of everything to be embarrassed. Good thing we were in winter break, if not, I would be missing weeks of school. So would Chii if he would of still helped me.
* * *
The rest of my winter break flew by emotionlessly. Chii stayed with me for New Year's, even though all we did was watch a movie. I can't help feeling like a burden to Chii.
"Chii," I spoke for the first time since my mother's funeral. Chii looked surprised. "Yeah?" "How come your parents aren't worked about you? You've stayed with me all this time without going to your own house." Chii sighed. "This isn't the right time for this." I raised an eyebrow. "Why not?" "Mayana, I don't live with my parents." My jaw dropped. "Then why do you have all of those extra bedrooms in your house?" "Because I used to live with them." "What happened?" "They moved to America with Hannah about 3 weeks ago." "Why didn't you go?" "Cause I couldn't leave you." I blushed. I can take perfectly good care of myself, thank you very much.
"Well..
What are you gonna do with so much space?" "I don't know." Chii's eyes driften off to the television. "I mean, I could sell it." "Well where would you live then, genius?" Chii shrugged. "I'll figure something out." I shook my head.
Retard.
Wait. What if Chii lived with me? My cheeks turned red at the thought. I decided to ask him anyways. "What if you lived here? With me?" I asked nervously. Chii grinned. "That was my original idea." RETARD RETARD RETARD. "I already put the house up for sale. All my stuff is in boxes." "God, Chii. What if I said no?" "You wouldn't be able to." Its true. I can't help feeling like I owe him something. "Besides, I know you can't resist my sexiness." Chii put a hand on his hip, struck a pose, and wiggled his eyebrows. I laughed.
"You're an idiot." "Yeah, I get that a lot." Chii and I lay on the couch, watching the television. He yawned. "I'm tired." "Then go to sleep. No one's gonna stop you." Chii was snoring within seconds and pretty soon, I drifted off too.
* * *
Today is the last day of winter break. Chii took all of his boxes of crap out of his house and now my small living room is filled with cardboard. He was arranging some of his items in my room, bathroom, and basically everywhere else.
I tripped over a small mountain of cardboard as I tried to get to my room. "Ugh," I groaned. "Chii, we gotta get rid of all this useless cardboard." Chii was in the bathroom. "Yeeeaaah, I know." "When are you gonna throw them away? They're taking up like half of the apartment." "Uhm, later. I'm shitting right now." "I DIDNT NEED TO KNOW THAT."