Chapter 2: Emma

"I'll see you Friday," he says, making me pause long enough for the cafeteria to erupt in whispers. His voice is lower than I remember, but maybe that's because the last time we talked was in grade school. Or maybe his voice is lower because he wants people to talk about us.

My shoulders tighten as some people swivel at their lunch tables to gawk at me, and I have to force myself to relax. Carter's been in my school since kindergarten. Nothing about him should be scary, except he is. I'm not sure what rumors about him are true, but I'll probably find out on Friday. That is, if my parents don't hear about the date and ground me for an eternity. I am already preparing myself for their interrogation about where I'm going and who I'm going with.

I slink back to my friends--the ones who accused me of never being able to ask out a guy. I lift my head high, trying to ignore the gaping mouths and wide eyes pointed directly at me. I try to make it seem like I had planned for this, wanted it even.

"Well, not only can I ask a guy out, but I can get a date." I slide my clarinet case onto the empty seat next to me and plop back down in my chair as the girls break out in high-pitched giggles.

"Oh. My. God." Stacy accentuates each word, making each a stand alone sentence. She pushes her blond hair behind her shoulders and gives me a conspiratorial look with her dark grey eyes. Her makeup gives her a refined edge, and she never overdoes it. She leans across the table. "You cannot go on a date with the Carter Oh-Tease."

The way she says his last name makes my stomach clench. If the rumors are true ... I don't let myself finish the thought. We all know Carter Ortese is trouble; there's no reason for me to think about it further.

"I think it's romantic." Mika flutters her long dark lashes and juts out her lower lipe in a pout. She's on my left hand side, and our group is at the edge of the long row of cafeteria tables. Next to her is the line for pizza. "Bad boy gets seduced by--"

"Ew, I am not seducing anyone."

Mika cuts me a glare, but continues, "--the good girl, and she convinces the bad boy to negate his satanic ways."

"What is this? Eighteenth century England?" I snort, hoping that my forced bravado will eventually make me feel better. "I'm pretty sure Carter is not a satanist." As I say the words, I try to think about food, contemplating a salad for lunch, but my stomach feels off. Maybe a slice of toast instead? Just something to tide me over until I get home.

"I heard he lost his virginity in a threesome," Stacy whispers, slapping Britt on the arm. Britt rubs at the spot, like Stacy's actually done some damage.

I glance down the aisle and realize that Carter's already gone. Once a loner, always a loner. Though, I guess if I were him, I wouldn't need friends either. He's always been a wild card.

"I heard that he mugged the guy he sold weed to, so he could get the weed back and sell it again." Britt devolves into a giggle fit, as if accusing someone of a crime is the most hilarious thing in the world. Her lips disappear into her wide smile as she winks at me. Her light brown eyes sparkle.

"I heard that he went to one of the Junkit parties and gave everyone angel dust laced with--"

"Stop it," I say, bringing my case back into my lap. I clutch it against my chest. Even though the crowd in the cafe is starting to thin out, I feel claustrophobic. My friends are reminding me of all the reasons why I wanted Carter to say no in the first place. But he didn't, and I'm still not sure why. I'm not like the people I've seen him talking to, and I'm certainly not like any of the girls he's been with in the past. And I certainly don't want to think about those stupid Junkit parties.