Chapter 16: Emma

Where is he taking me?

We're only a few blocks away from the mall, and he's holding onto my hand with a loose grip. He's making it clear that I can leave, but I don't want to. My hand stays in his. There's something comfortable in the air between us, and while I'm not sure I should trust him, I do.

From what I know about Carter, aside from the rumors, he seems like a great guy. He has a single, struggling mom. He works a part time job so she doesn't have to worry as much. And, on top of those facts, he listens to swing music. Yes, he could be the first creep to listen to swing that I've ever met, but I doubt it.

We continue along in silence, and a few cars pass us with their headlights on as the sun starts to sink behind the horizon. The early fall clouds soak in the colors, turning the sky into roses, robin's eggs, and lilacs. The air is crisp, but not cool, refreshing after the oppressive summer heat. The humidity has died down, and pretty soon, we'll sink into the winter months.

If I blink, I'll miss the leaves turning and blissful fall weather. The season is short and fleeting, gone too fast.

Carter squeezes his fingers around mine. "How's your weekend been so far?"

I let out a breath.

"That good, huh?" He arches an eyebrow and slides me a half smile. His dark hair drifts in the breeze and offsets his crystal blue eyes. His bronzed skin is smooth and perfect. His face is clean shaven, lacking the usual scruff. He's breathtaking, and I'm not sure he knows it.

"I spent most of today worrying about my chemistry grade, and that's done nothing to solve the problem of my seat getting challenged."

"Seat?" He wears a muddled look of confusion on his brow.

"We have lead chairs in band, which I've had since our last lead graduated. Georgia is playing against me, and the winner takes the seat." I shrug, feeling helpless all over again. My anxiety rushes back in, curling up my spine and melting my brain.

"Hey," Carter says, his calm voice snapping me back to the present. "Is that where you go?"

"Where I go?"

"Whenever you disappear."

I stop walking, and he turns to me. My hand is still in his, and suddenly, it feels too warm, even with the breeze circling between us. I drop his hand, and he steps away from me, as if he knows the truth is bigger than the space around me.

"I don't know, I guess?" Crossing my arms, I stare down at my feet. It's too hard to look at him and admit this. "I have a lot of things I'm trying to juggle, and sometimes, I feel like I can't keep up. It's a train pushing forward, and I got off at the wrong stop ages ago." Gazing back up at him, I add, "I suppose that doesn't make much sense."

He shrugs. "It does. Your metaphor might need a little work, but it makes sense."

I frown.

Light dances in his eyes, and that half smile appears back on his face. Somehow, his expression still conveys sadness. "I know what you mean. My mom and my friend, Desmond, get really ... weighed down with life."

"But not you?"

"I used to. The rumors bothered me, and I guess they still do, but I've cut out all unnecessary stress." He rocks back on his heels. "That's why I've never signed up for honors courses. Come on, we're almost there." He nods his head toward an actual alleyway. I had almost forgotten our destination.

"You purposefully don't take honors course?" I start walking again, and he keeps pace. Our fingers brush against each others, and I regret dropping his hand, but neither of us makes the move to hold the other.