Chapter 2

The party walked up to the computer next to the track.

  "There's not many cars under £10,000 guys." Luke said, "What are we gonna choose?"

  James was quick for once, "I'll get a Volvo." He clicked the 1990s Volvo 850R on the screen and it appeared on the track.

  "Hammond?" Jeremy asked.

  "Vauxhall Nova!" He replied.

  Luke just burst into laughter, "A friggin Vauxhall Nova?! That was terrible when you got it back in the day and it's still rubish!"

But Hammond had made up his mind. He clicked the button on the computer monitor, and the Vauxhall Nova appeared on the racetrack right next to James's Volvo.

  "Right my turn." Jeremy then said. "I'm going to go cheap, and yet effective. If you remember, I put a jet engine on the back of a bicycle. Well that is exactly what I'm getting."

  "Is that against the rules?" Luke asked.

  "No one said it wasn't, so I'm using that to my advantage. Right, it's your turn!"

Luke scrolled through the options. He saw loads of cars, but most of them were crap. He thought he lost hope, but then something caught his eye. A Bricklin SV-1 was for sale for about £9,500.

  "I CHOOSE UUUUUU!" Luke exclaimed as his finger hit the computer monitor.

It was finally Jack's turn, and he went for a simple KTM X-Bow.

  Jeremy faced Jack, "The only problem I have with this car, is that by the time you get the engine started, the race will already be over."

Jack wasn't discouraged by this, and stuck with his choice. Doubt filled the party's minds. Which one would be vaporized? But that doubt faded when they saw their competition. Two Toyota Priuses.

The preparations were made, and the green starter flag dropped.

~~~~~~~~~~

The circuit was simple, a Nascar styled loop. When the racers had completed the race, the results were clear. Jeremy in first with his Jet-Bike (patten-pending), Jack second, Luke third, and James fourth. Hammond almost got stone dead last by rolling his Nova. One of the Prius guards was vaporized, leaving one left.

The man in the white lab-coat walked up to Jeremy and gave him another gold envelope.

  He read, "Although your driving skills proved to be helpful in this challenge, the next one won't be as easy. Each of your cars, including the remaining Toyota Prius, will do three laps around the track. Your lowest time will be your final time. No rematches or saves. If your roll your car, the time you take to right it will be added onto your final time."

  "Who's driving our cars then?" James asked.

A figure began to walk out of the fog.

  Jeremy lowered the envelope and stared at him, “Some say he never blinks, and that he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves. Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. Some say that he appears on high value stamps in Sweden, and that he can catch fish with his tongue. Some say he is illegal in 17 US states, and he blinks sideways. Some say that his breath smells of magnesium, and that he’s scared of bells. Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all his legs are hydraulic. Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. Some say that his heart ticks like a watch, and that he’s confused by stairs. Some say that his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has two sets of knees. Some say that he’s terrified of ducks, and that there’s an airport in Russia named after him. Some say his skin has the texture of a dolphin’s, and that wherever you are in the world, if you turn your radio to 88.4 you can actually hear his thoughts. Some say that he has no understanding of clouds, and that his ear wax tastes like Turkish Delight.  Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground. All we know is..."

The figure stood in front of the party, his arms crossed.

  "All we know is... he’s called the Stig.”