Chapter 13 - Mission

I'm finally updating this story! Yay!! TwT I had the chapter ready for almost a week but my computer wasn't charging so I couldn't even turn it on ToT I've finally got it back after getting the problem fixed so here's the long awaited update!

Happy reading! ^^

~~~~~~~~~

Izumi pov:

"Woah, you're really fast at this! I've been doing this for years and I'm still not that efficient." Koharu said in awe as she watched me chop vegetables for the stew we were having for dinner.

"I have a bit of practice." I responded with a shrug before pushing the chopped vegetables off the cutting board and into a bowl with the knife. I proceeded to wash the rice and handed it to the barracks' cook so she could prepare our meal.

Koharu and I finished up with our chores quickly and headed to the gazebo in the courtyard beside the barracks so we could just laze around for a while before getting back to training. We passed Haji san on the way who rubbed in the fact that he was free from chores this week and gloated about how efficiently he had been lazing around. But Koharu and I just waved it off with a laugh before going our separate ways. When we got to the gazebo, we sat down on the stone slabs opposite to each other and leaned back comfortably.

Koharu began to talk about something she had seen in a jewelry store in the marketplace when she had gone there a few days ago but I couldn't concentrate on that. I was distracted by the most recent happenings with the prince I had been running into more often that I wanted to. First was the bothersome deal he had forced me to agree to and then was the thing about his name. He had introduced himself as Ryuu before disappearing from the library. I hadn't heard his footsteps when he left and the doors of the library had been in front of me. He might have left from the window and he had done so without the slightest sound. He was no ordinary prince, that's for sure.

Although, I was beginning to wonder if he really was a prince at all. His behavior was unusual, his name was unusual – a bit too similar to the Blood Emperor's name Ryuusei – and something about him was just dark and dangerous. Was that man really just a sibling to the Blood Emperor or was he the Blood Emperor himself? How and from whom could I find out more about him? When would he summon me and for what reason? Was this all a trap??

"Earth to Izumi! Are you listening to me?!"

I was jolted back to the present when Koharu yelled my name and gave my shoulder a violent shake. I finally blinked and looked at her noticing her watching me annoyed and with a hint of inquisitiveness.

"Honestly, what are you thinking about so seriously that you can't even hear me calling out to you? And what's with that really sharp expression on your face?" She asked and let go of me, having realized that she now had my full attention.

"Oh, sorry about that, Koharu. I was just thinking about something."

"What were you thinking about?" She pressed and I contemplated for a moment on whether I should ask her for some information or not.

"Koharu, do you know the names of any of the princes living in the palace?" I asked as casually as possible and she raised a brow. She was silent for a few moments but then broke out into a mischievous grin and leaned back.

"Ah, so you're finally becoming a mature woman! You're showing interest in some handsome and rich men." She teased and I rolled my eyes.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, Koharu, but that's not the reason I asked about their names. I happened to meet another prince when I was with Prince Shichiro – someone named Araishi. I just wanted to know the names and possibly the appearance of the others so I won't end up being impulsively hostile to them and land up in any sort of trouble."