Chapter 18 - Clues

Woohoo! Finally updated this story! Hope you all enjoy! ^^

It's been a while since I put up a traditional picture of Izumi chan so here she is! :3 WHo could imagine such a sweet looking girl could be totally badass, right? >:3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Izumi pov:

"You're the what?!" Everyone in the hall, including Kanzaki san, Mira san and Haruko, asked in unison. Not only was I receiving shocked states but I was also ruthlessly bombarded with questions.

"How can that be?! You're the Blood Emperor's Empress now?!" Haruko hollered first.

"Oh dear, of all the possible men to marry!" Mira san exclaimed.

"How come none of us heard about this?"

"Good question! Why didn't you send us a letter to tell us about this, Izumi?!"

"Exactly! Do you know how worried we all were when you were taken away by Soutarou sama?" Kanzaki san scolded. "And after more than several months of losing contact with you, you show up with this kind of news? And who are these two with you?!"

Sighing deeply, I put down my chopsticks and swallowed whatever I had in my mouth. "Is it really not possible for me to enjoy Mira san's food without you all throwing so many questions at me?? And to answer your last question, Kanzaki san, this is Haji san - one of the Captain's in the Imperial Army and this is Prince Shichiro, The Blood Emperor's youngest brother."

I looked at everyone, amused at the different looks I was receiving - surprise, worry and anger. Everyone had fallen silent as if something seemed to suddenly dawn upon them. Many of them paled while others took a step back in submissiveness. I raised a brow wondering why they were suddenly acting this way but my question was soon answered when Haruko spoke up in a rather trembling voice.

"A Captain, a Prince and the Empress....am I the only one who just realized the gravity of the situation in this room? That we're in the presence of the highest level of royalty that governs the whole country?"

The atmosphere in the room got thick and tense and it was only seconds before everyone dropped to their knees and bent forward with their foreheads touching the floor in the most respectable bow possible. I was mildly startled by what they were doing and I stood up. I glanced at Prince Shichiro who seemed just a bit uncomfortable as well, but I don't think it was because of the respect he was receiving. I'm sure that's how he was always greeted by commoners but this was the first time he was in such close proximity to them. Haji san was watching everyone amused as he stood next to me, perhaps even with a hint of smugness as well, with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Forgive us for being rude, Your Highnesses. We wish that you will see past our uncouth behavior and allow us to serve you as best as we can during your stay here." Kanzaki san said. Everyone had their face down but I noticed Haruko glance up at me showing slight disappointment - as if he had been shunned away by his best friend.

"O-oi, what are you guys doing? Why are you on your knees and what's with all the formal speaking? Stop acting weird and get up." I said with an awkward chuckle.

"What'd I tell you, Sweetheart? The minute they know that you've become the Empress, they're going to put up a barrier and treat you like they're not related to you in any way." Haji san said with a laugh. "And you were so confident that they wouldn't treat you any differently."

I elbowed him in the side, earning a satisfying grunt of pain in response, before walking to Kanzaki san and getting down on my knees next to him. I placed my hand on his shoulders and forced him sit up straight. He did sit up but he still had his head down and his back hunched in a submissive gesture. He didn't meet my eyes either and it made me feel like I had lost my place in this family that had welcomed me when I had nowhere to go in this world. I exhaled deeply before standing up and addressing everyone together.