Chapter 15 - Crafty Prince

Ryuusei pov:

"I am truly humbled to be in your presence, Princesses. I may be lacking in many ways but I will work hard to learn from all of you and become a pillar of support to His Highness." Izumi bowed to my other consorts. My lips twitched, wanting to break out into an amused smile behind the mask I wore.

"Of course, Empress Izumi. We will do our best to teach you all there is to know." Kiyori, one of my politically wedded consorts said with a smile. However, I could see the obvious displeasure in her eyes.

Most of my consorts were not happy with this sudden development. They had never seen Izumi before and being aware of the fact that Izumi was a commoner and not royalty like them only added to the anger and objection to her becoming Empress. Of course, they couldn't refuse my decision so they merely settled with emotionless stares at Izumi while in my presence. I knew quite well that they would openly express their displeasure later on when they got a chance to meet Izumi alone. Mockery, ridicule and disrespect – she was sure to be put through all of this from my consorts and governors. But knowing her straightforward and unyielding personality, she would definitely leave them at a loss of words instead.

I was quite looking forward to how this would progress.

"W-we are very humbled to get the chance to teach the Empress the ways of the palace! We w-will do our best." My youngest and most innocent consort said with a flushed smile.

My wedding with Himiko came as a surprise. The governor of the Southern Province requested me to take his barely fifteen year old daughter as my wife so he could gain a higher standing than the other governors I had posted there. I suppose his plan was to increase his money extortion business but with coming into the limelight after my wedding with his daughter, he could no longer maintain the secrecy. He was caught red handed by my assassin samurai and stripped of his title as governor. I would have preferred to have him hanged but solely for the sake of Himiko, I settled with banishing him. He now spent his days in the wilderness, unseen and unheard of by anyone in any town of my Empire.

Himiko was the striking opposite of her father. She was innocent and pure hearted because she had been kept sheltered from the world by her father and mother. She had no interaction with the outside world like what most other women would have and so was unaware, too trusting and easily lured into traps. Of course, all my other consorts too were just as weak and helpless in any situation and that was another reason besides possible political warfare that prevented me from choosing one from my harem as an Empress.

"Oh, you're the young consort I saw the other day....during the reb-wah!" Izumi spoke but I cut her short by me wrapping an arm around her waist and pulling her to my chest while facing me.

Quite contrary to her usually combative behavior, Izumi was relaxed now and unsuspecting of any such gesture from me so she stumbled on her feet and fell on me with her hands on my chest and met my gaze with wide surprised eyes. She didn't looked flustered though, even though I was hoping for her to, and rewarded me with a slight glare before getting back to acting. She smiled, accentuating the coloring she had applied onto her cheeks and averted her eyes to the side as if she was shy.

"Y-Your Highness, what are you doing? There are many watching us!" She said while trying her best to maintain a soft ring to her voice.

"Haven't I told you to address me as Ryuu sama, Love?" I cooed and pressed my lips against her forehead in a kiss.

I could feel baffled stares of my other consorts and I had to resist a laugh as Izumi tensed in my arms, clenching her fists and jaw so tightly to maintain composure. I let her go and watched as she took a deep breath to keep her cool and continue smiling.