Chapter Five

Chapter Five

After three sessions, Rogue was able to steal Remy and Logan's memories and leave them feeling only slightly dizzy. She was very pleased by her progress so she was slightly surprised to enter the danger room on Saturday afternoon and find Remy there but no Logan, and Jimmy, AKA Leech, in his place.

What was the use in turning her powers off is she was trying to control them?

Sensing her confusion, Remy tried to explain.

"When most mutants use their powers, they can feel it. I thought that maybe you were so used to your powers that they had become a kind of white noise. I'm hoping that Jimmy here can help remind you what it was like to not have powers, so you can feel the difference."

That wasn't actually a bad idea but as she stepped further into the room she noticed that Remy looked different.

"You have green eyes!" she gasped, suddenly realising that she'd never seen him with normal eyes before.

"Yeah," he blushed and looked a little awkward. "You like?"

He was so used to people being shocked by his black eyes that he was used to it. He loved his eyes and hated their reaction but for some reason, he didn't mind if Rogue preferred his human eyes.

"They're horrible!" she said without thinking, immediately wishing she could take such hurtful words back. To her immense relief, he burst out laughing.

"Finally, someone who likes the devil eyes!" he cried. "Just a shame it's gotta be Sister Mary Rogue."

For once, she didn't like that nickname.

Knowing how he felt about her, perhaps it was perverse of her to get into his personal space, but she was a little angry at his words. She strode up to him, opened his jacket, pulled his shades out from the inside pocket and slipped them onto his nose.

"There, much better."

Remy was giving her an odd look and she wondered if perhaps she had crossed a line.

"What?"

"You feel any different, chère?" Remy asked.

Only then did Rogue realise that she too was standing next to Jimmy and no longer had her powers. She stopped and thought for a minute and realised that she did feel different.

Her skin usually felt tight but now it was weird, almost as if some unknown swelling under her skin had been relieved.

She couldn't help herself, she pulled off her gloves and raised one hand to Remy's cheek, stroking her thumb over his stubble. She was slowly learning to control her powers but she still felt a long way from being able to do something like this.

Suddenly she realised that it was a rather intimate gesture considering that even though she had graduated, Remy was supposed to be her teacher, at least at the moment.

She reached her other hand out for Jimmy, who slipped his smaller one into hers. His hands felt so soft, especially the back of his hand.

"This is amazing," she said, sounding rather awed.

"This is what you're working for," Remy said, his voice like warm honey. "Remember that."

Rogue finally dropped her hands back to her side, remembering that she was here to work, not exploit Jimmy's power.

"So how do we do this?" she asked.

"You sit on the floor with your back to us," Remy said. "Close your eyes, relax, and I'm going to have Jimmy walk towards you and away from you. I want you to try and focus on how your powers feel, and to try feel exactly when they turn on and off."