Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"Sentinels?" Rogue asked.

They'd only been back at the school for a week and already they were having briefing in the War Room. Maybe the respite they'd had since Alcatraz was over.

"It was before you came to the school, Rogue," The professor explained and after pressing a few buttons, a hologram of a sentinel appeared in the middle of the table.

"That looks like the giant robots we train against," Bobby said.

"Indeed," Storm smiled. "Did you never wonder where they came from?"

"I just thought someone liked robots," Bobby confessed with a shrug.

"And so they do, mon ami, but it was an anit-mutant scientist named Trask who liked them."

"I'm confused," said Kitty. "I haven't seen any three story high, flying robots with energy blasters. Surely something like that would make the news?"

"They were a prototype," the professor explained. "Designed to capture or kill mutants but in order to do so, they needed an awful lot of hardware and power, hence their size. Only three were ever made as they were unwieldy, not to mention costly."

"We broke into the base," Remy explained. "Destroyed the prototypes and thought that was that."

"Until now," the professor said. "Magneto sent me this footage earlier today."

He pressed a few more buttons and the screens around the war room filled with what looked like twin mutants fighting. The fight was brutal, both opponents formidable but it wasn't until the end of the clip, when one mutant fell, that they saw it's insides.

"It's a robot!" Bobby cried.

"Indeed," the professor said. "It seems they have managed to miniaturise their technology and fit it into a human sized shell."

"But how?" asked Pete. "That kind of power does not come cheap, or small."

"What about Iron Man?" Kitty said.

"Iron Man is hot!" Rogue felt the need to add.

"He so is," Kitty agreed with a smile.

Gambit shot Rogue a funny look.

"What?" Rogue shrugged. "He is."

"Iron Man is a person in a suit," Bobby interrupted their conversation. "He makes the decisions. A computer to make those decisions would be huge, like a super computer or something."

"Except at the Stark Expo, there were drones there that fought with Stark, remember?" Kitty said. "Maybe Trask got his hands on some of the parts. Or maybe he teamed up with Hammer Industries or something."

"The how is not important at the moment," Storm said. "The who and the where is what matters."

"Yeah, but why make them look human?" Rogue asked. "Unless... I don't know about y'all, but I thought that was two mutants fighting."

"Yes," the professor said gravely. "Not only can these sentinels capture or kill mutants, any damage they do and human casualties they cause will most likley be blamed on mutants. A double edged sword, if you will."

"What do we now?" Gambit asked.

"Very little, I confess. Erik has provided me with what he believes to be their base of production, but even he says that the information may be incorrect."

"What's the deal with Magneto?" Rogue asked.

"I cannot say with any certainty. We know the cure is wearing off but we do not know how quickly or what individual factors might effect it. Magneto was also given a much larger dose than normal so I'm afraid that, unless Eric decides to share, we will not know how much of his powers have returned."