Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"Rogue," Gambit crawled over to where Rogue was lying, pulling her off the blond woman who had been beneath her. "Chère?" He called again as he settled her in his lap and brushed her hair off her face. "Come on, baby, wake up."

As he shook her shoulder, she finally began to come around. Groggily, she sat up and looked around, trying to remember what happened.

"Where is he?" she asked.

"Don't know. Not even sure how long I was out."

"Since when did Betsy have telekinesis that powerful?" Rogue asked.

"I don't know, chère, but what I do know is that we can't get to either of them as long as Betsy is under his control."

Rogue reluctantly nodded. To be fair, she felt that Gambit would stand an excellent chance against Betsy in a fight, but neither of them wanted to hurt Betsy or the professor if it could be helped. They both lay there for a few moments, considering the situation.

"This is a hospital, right?" Rogue asked,

"Oui?" He didn't understand where she was going with this.

"That means they must have anaesthetics?"

"But how are we going to get close enough to inject them?"

"We don't, we gas them instead. You see if you can find the security room so we can track their movements, I'll see if I can find a tank of... something."

Remy didn't have a better plan so he agreed.

They helped each other to their feet.

"Here," Remy said as they were about to part ways, and touched his fingers to her cheek. After a few moments he felt the drain of her powers as she turned them on. That should provide her with his protection against the professors mental attacks for a bit longer.

Rogue smiled, pleased by the gesture, then began to follow the signs to the operating rooms. She had hardly gone three paces when Remy's thoughts ran through her mind. He was terrified that something would happen to her, and she smiled, pleased that he cared.

Then from nowhere, like a tidal wave washing over her mind, someone else's thoughts and memories crashed over her. She gasped and brought her hands to her head.

"Rogue!" Remy was at her side in a heartbeat. "Chère, what's wrong?"

"There's someone else in here," Rogue managed to say through gritted teeth.

"In the hospital?" he feared that the professor or someone else was attacking her mind.

"No... my head. Someone I absorbed. She's too strong! Ah!" She cried out and went limp, only Remy's quick reflexes preventing her from falling. Seconds later she came around.

"Chère?" he asked.

"Who are you?" Rogue looked around. "Am I still on Muir Island?"

"Yes." Remy had no clue what was going on. Rogue was speaking with a Boston accent and didn't seem to know who he was.

"What happened?"

"The professor," he explained. "He attacked everyone's mind."

Suddenly he was slugged in the gut, the blow sending him flying down the corridor. He could only be thankful for the armour that was incorporated into his X-Men suit.

"You're working with him, aren't you! That's why you're awake! What do you want with me?"

Remy was dragged to his feet and slammed into the wall.