4;

✖️✖️✖️

✖️✖️✖️

Battle of the sexes

Battle of the sexes. Truly, that's what this game of pool has turned in to.

I stretch out as I line up my shot, feeling the warmth of Tyler lingering behind me. When I miss—on purpose, of course—I turn around to face him with a pout.

"I'm no good at this."

The ends of his dark hair falls in tiny curls across the span of his forehead, and his brows furrow as he frowns sympathetically.

"Aw, that's not true," he croons.

Tyler takes a step forward, invading my personal space. Not that it takes much effort on his account, the guy is massive. Tall and muscular. How he manages to stay upright on skates while playing hockey is a mystery to me. He has more of a linebacker's build rather than a hockey player. There's something about his eyes too. So dark they're nearly black, but there's a sadness in them. It's something he's obviously trying to hide by consuming alcohol, but it's there nonetheless.

I let him reach out and skim my hand with his own, and I'm surprised at the wave of heat it causes to shoot up my arm.

Hazel Rose does not get frazzled. Get yourself together, girl, I tell myself. You can't lose your edge now.

That's right, it's our second game. The one where Mabel and I are supposed to win and skip merrily on our way with the cash.

I force a small smile and step back to lean against the wall while the two men take their turn. Mabel walks over to me, her teeth clamping down hard on her lower lip.

"I'm getting to antsy," she whispers to me. "Can we get this over with?"

I nod once, watching Alex and Tyler warily as they high-five over Alex having sunk a striped ball. "I think I'm about finished here too."

Mabel slips out of her heels and takes the stick from Alex for her next turn. He watches her carefully while she lines up the shot, and I suddenly hear warning bells go off in my head. He's looking at her like she's something to conquer, and it makes my blood boil. I've heard the rumors about him, well about the leading hockey trio in general, but Alex is especially bad. A true player who does more than just indulge in the hook-up culture of today. He practically created it. I have no doubt that Mabel could hold her own against him, but she's still one of the purest people I've ever met. If he even tries to ruin her I'll rip off his beloved—