xvii.

"Are you having a hard time sleeping?"

She wasn't sure how long Melanie had been standing there, but she saw her lean figure, illuminated by the moonlight shining through the window. Shadows passed over her as trees passed in front of the moon.

"Yeah," she said.

"You seem really pale," her guardian angel whispered, careful not to wake the few other people on the train. "Is there something you need?"

"No," she shook her head, wiping her wrist across her sticky cheeks. "I think I'm just really tired still."

Melanie frowned, and crinkles formed between her eyebrows.

"I think it's just the seat," she said. "I'm having a hard time getting comfortable." She moved the small, flat pillow, adjusting it under her neck. She felt her heartbeat in her throat.

"Why don't you come with me?" Melanie smiled, a small, sweet smile. "I paid extra for my ticket, and I have one of the private cabins. You'll have a bed, and even though it's not the most comfortable thing to sleep on, it's better than what you have to deal with now."

"I... I don't want to impose," she murmured, trying desperately to find Melanie's eyes in the darkness.

"It's not problem at all."

"But where will you sleep?"

Her heart beat faster.

"I had a friend who was supposed to come with me," Melanie said, "so I have an extra bed."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

She chewed on her lip and hesitated before finally nodding. It was just her curse to agree.

Melanie took her hand and led her up. She almost forgot to grab her belongings.