Chap.11-My Heart Is The Worst Kind Of Weapon

Took me a while to write this since I am running out of ideas as a writer. I took a long and I mean a long enough break so I pushed on with this. Hopefully it's good enough as I think it is.

Hiccup's POV

I opened my eyes. My eyelids felt very heavy. The sun shone through a hole on my roof, I probably need to fix that for when rainy season comes. I slowly got up and sat on the bed. My head hurts but not too much. I needed to help in decorating the village for the upcoming Festival of the Sea.
We basically celebrate the God of the Sea, Ægir and Rán. We would normally throw a party thanking the Gods of the sea for the bountiful catch after sacrificing a dragon but after things, we just sacrificed a yak.

I placed my hand on my face rubbing my cheeks. The day was gonna be much busier so why not take the time to relax? Nah, my brain said yet my body was aching. I stood up and wore my boots. I made my way downstairs. Father was nowhere to be heard or seen. I saw toothless sleeping at the mat. As i opened the windows, I took a deep breathe and looked outside. It was so early yet everyone was already working. The decorations hung highly. The place looked very alive. I grabbed a bun from the kitchen and decided to head out. It was a tiring day yesterday so toothless would probably sleep for a bit.

As I made my way to the door I heard a very familiar voice. I heard the familiar feminine voice of Astrid. I felt the need to not open the door and keep listening to what she was saying.
"So Fishleg's birthday?" She asked.
"Ahhh right its tonight at the arena, were gonna celebrate after the festival" answered who I assumed was Ruffnut.
"So you gonna tell that boyfriend of yours?" Ruffnut added.
"Hah. I wished, I'll tell him later" She answered back
"Seriously though when are you gonna make a move?" Ruffnut asked.
"I thought the man was supposed to make the move" She replied
"Well duhh... Unless you give him the wrong signals" answered Ruffnut
"Like?"
"Caling him your friend should be one?" She answered
"Shut up" she finally answered as they walked away from the front of my house.

My whole body felt heavy after hearing those words. Was I that numb to others feelings towards me. I was finally unfrozen from holding the door handle and I finally opened the door. I just felt really bad for not noticing. After maybe a few years of being friends, I might have been ignoring the signs. I was too dense that I drove her away and not the other way around as I always assumed.
I chuckled realising my mistakes, but it might've been too late. I went over to the great hall still deeply thinking of possible signs she gave me. I saw dad fixing up the food to cook later. I approached to greet him.

"Hey dad" I said tapping his shoulder.
He turned around and greeted me. "Heyy Hiccup you're awake" He exclaimed happily.
"Did you even go home last night Dad?" I asked
"Of course I did son although you were already asleep and I went out early" He explained
"Ah I see" I answered. "Anything I could help you with?" I added
"Ah well could you help your friends finish up decorating the dragon arena? We're gonna have a fireworks display there later."
"Okay dad I'll see you later" I say as I waved walking away to the dragon arena. I arrived at the place. It was already looking fantastic. The cage was hanged with colourful paper. The stadium had flowers all over it. I knew from that moment that tonight would be a memorable night. I walked toward the gates and opened it and everyone of my friends was there.
"Hey guys" I greeted
They all greeted me back.
"Anything I could help with?" I asked.
"You could help us set up the fireworks for later" Fishlegs answered
"Ah okay I got that" I replied