23

“What are you laughing at?” I asked when he couldn’t stop.

“You had me believe that you were meeting a boy and it is just your mom? Don’t you ever date?” He asked still laughing and by this time I was a bit more embarrassed than before.

“No Dominic, I don’t date. No you kept asking if a boy was coming and I simply ignored your questions. I swear you have heard from many people today that I am ‘desperate’ for a boyfriend.” I said rolling my eyes and just air quoting the word desperate.

I am happy alone. I won’t be hurt if I am alone.

“Look, I know people have been saying that but don’t you have dates? I mean a girl like you; someone so nice and popular would have tons of guys asking you out.” His voice had gone from calm to irritate near the end and he coughed before taking another look around the arcade.

“I used to get fake offers. There were these boys who used to come up to me at my old school, you know before I moved here, and they would ask me out and then they would laugh in my face. I don’t like being asked out and being laughed at when I say sure, or I’ll think about it. So when I moved here I never took an offer of a date seriously.” I said and he seemed really confused and trying to process what I had just told him.

“Guys would ask you out and laugh when you said yes?” He asked and I just nodded meekly. “That’s stupid… I mean of course they were probably sissys anyways and wouldn’t be good boyfriends but still you at least hit them right?” He asked and I just shook my head. “Why not?” He asked seeming interested now.

“It happened when it was my last week of school, I got all these offers and if they didn’t laugh they said ‘oh wait, you’re leaving, guess I am lucky’ before running off.” I said and Dominic seemed to not believe me with his confused face all over again.

“That is so childish.” He said shaking his head finally when he comprehended what I was saying.

“What about you? I hear you never had a girlfriend either.” I said wanting to know at least something about his love life since he knows stuff about mine.

“My dad has amnesia. He was in this real bad car accident when I was 7 and he doesn’t remember anything after that day. Have you ever seen the movie 50 first dates?” He asked and I just nodded. “It’s like that. We sit him down every morning since I started growing and my mom had Maddie and explained everything. He gets upset, and then he understands.” He said and I finally understood what was going on in his little world at home and why it must be rough for him to bring anyone there.

“But what does that have to do with you having and girlfriend?” I asked not seeing why he only gave that as an explanation.

“Eventually he would have to meet her, and then meet her and then meet her. I just find it way too chaotic and if we don’t work out I know it won’t be a problem for him but if I am sitting around moping and he wants me to talk about it I wouldn’t be able to without making him feel like crap about not remembering her. It’s hard enough introducing him to Maddie every morning and seeing him try and take that in.” He said scratching at the table top.

“I don’t even know what to say to that honestly.” I said and he just smiled lightly.

“Most people don’t even know. Like when there is parent teacher night my mom always goes and if my dad has to go I make sure to tell him everything before we get there.” He said and just smiled up at me. “But I love how he started loving his life after a while. He would do the weirdest stuff and more adventurist stuff and it would make for a great day.” He said nodding and spacing out as if going though one of those days all over again right now.

“What did I miss?” I heard my mom ask making me jump and turn to her smiling face as she looked between me and Dominic.

“Nothing.” I said and looked over at Dominic who just nodded with me.

“Really? Because I had to tell little Richie that Dominic Braxton wouldn’t be coming to beat him up if he stepped outside my studio when I had to lock up.” She said looking over at Dominic who hung his head in fake shame because I saw the smirk on his face. “Care to explain what I missed now?” She asked setting her purse down before sitting down in her seat near Dominic.

I had almost forgotten Dominic was the bad boy of the school. The one most kids feared in the first year because he always finished the fights.

“I don’t think it is a very good story.” Dominic said looking up at my mom with a small smile that was meant for an apology.

“I would still like to hear it.” She said and then opened the box taking her first piece. I went for one and she smacked my hands. I gave her a sad look and she just smiled. “Neither of you get to eat until I know the story.” She said and then waved the pizza in my face and then Dominic’s.

“But I didn’t have anything to do with it.” I whimpered out the lie and she just raised her eyebrows making me turn to glare at Dominic who was trying to hold in his laugh. “Tell her!” I shouted before punching his shoulder.

I was hungry!