Chapter 2

Chapter 2

When I got to my room I went straight to the bed to rest and try to forget what happened in last hour and to try not to cry my heart out but I still cried until i fell asleep.

It was past noon when I woke up feeling hungry. Too sad and angry at myself I called room service not wanting to go out.

I knew now that flying to New York was a big mistake. Im just hopping that Olly didn't recognize me in the books store but who am I kidding?! He knows me too well not to recognize me. But then maybe he forgot how I looked like now that he's with someone.

Later that afternoon my phone rang and it was Carla calling. She was hesitant that I was going to see Olly in New York alone. I didn't know if I should answer or not but I felt so alone and so I answered.

I said "Hi Carla" trying to hide my sadness.
"Maddie! Hows New York?"
She sounded a little bit worried. I was so heart broken just thinking what happened earlier.

"New York is beautiful and fine." I don't know how to tell her what happened with out crying because I know she'll be worried about me.
"So, did you meet with Olly yet?" Carla asked.
"Yes and no" as i said it a tear fell down and i bit my lip trying not to cry.
Then Carla asked me "Are you okay Maddie?".
I tried but I failed, I couldn't hold it any more and I cried to the person who knows me so well.
All I could say to Carla was "oh Carla I'm so stupid for even hoping that he would still feel the same way about me after all this time".

Carla sounded worried and asked what had happened and I told her what happened earlier. She responded so comforting saying that everything was going to be fine and she repeated the words she said to me before.
"Love can't kill you. Remember Maddie that this is just another obstacle in your life. You are the strongest person I know and I know for a fact that you can handle this. I believe in you."

Her comforting words helped a little and my crying came to a subsided.
Then she said that there was a surprise for me at my door.

I went to see what that was and when I opened the door I saw Rosa, her daughter. I immediately thanked Carla for she knew that I would need someone and Rosa was perfect because I knew she understands and would know how I feel.

Rosa asked me "you good Maddie?"
"Yeah I'm good" I said trying to hide my sadness.
"So what are you doing here in New York?" I asked with a smile
"I'm meeting some friends and mom asked me to come check on you, but maybe I can cancel on my friends and we could hang out."
I didn't want to bother Rosa with my heart ache. "Don't cancel on them for me Rosa, I don't want you to be stuck in a hotel room with me."
Rosa looked uncertain but agreed.
"How about we get dinner and have breakfast tomorrow and you come with me and my friends to see the city"
I'm not in the mood to go out but for Rosa I'll go.
"Sure. Lets have dinner and breakfast but can I think about seeing the city?"
"Sure, no pressure Maddie." said Rosa with a smile.

That night I was glad that Rosa was here with me. She demanded that we eat out and to enjoy the beautiful city. So we went out and searched for a place to eat.
We found a cute little Italian restaurant two blocks from the hotel.
It is small yet comfortable, in others words, it feels safe, calm and relaxed.

We ordered pasta and a pizza because they said it's a must for first timers here in NY.
We chatted and laughed while enjoying our meal. While in the middle of diner I heard someone call my name. At first I thought maybe there's another Maddie eating at the same restaurant as me.

I was surprised who was calling my name. It was Olly's friend from Hawaii, Zach.

Zach still looked the same and I was happy to see him. Zach came to our table and we hugged each other and I introduced him to Rosa and the exchanged hi's and hello's.
Zach also looked surprised to see me.
"Wow Maddie! Crazy seeing you here. How are you and what are you doing here in New York?" Said Zach smiling.
I didn't know what to tell him so I skipped his questions.
"I know right! Crazy seeing you here, I thought you were in Maui?"
"I'm here on vacation and I really missed the pizza here. How about you? I thought you were sick?"
I knew he would ask that knowing what happened to me in Hawaii. So I told him what had happened back then and at home and lied to him that I was here also for the pizza.
Zach gave me a look and he knew I wasn't telling the truth. He asked me the question that I wasn't ready to face.
"Does Olly know your here?" I half smiled at him and said no.
"Why? Didn't you tell him you were coming here?"
"No. I didn't know if he wanted to see me."
"What? That's ridiculous Maddie! I know for a fact that he would love to see you. Whenever we talked he always talked about you and still thinks about you until now. I'm sure about that."
Not knowing what to say and trying not to cry, i just smiled. "As much I want to believe you Zach, I can't."
"Why?"
Feeling so heart broken, I told him the truth.
"Because I already saw him. The real reason I'm here in New York is that I was going to surprise him but it was him who surprised me."
Zach looked confused.
"What are you saying Maddie?"
I told him what happened at the book store earlier and it felt like my heart was being torn. Zach glanced at his table and knew he had to go.
"I have to go Maddie but can we meet up while you're here?" He pulls out a pen from his pocket and writes on the napkin. "Here's my number call me if your free tomorrow." he says and I just nod.

Back at the hotel Rosa and I agreed to watch a movie. I agreed but wasn't interested so I picked up my phone and the napkin where Zach's number is written.
I sent him a text
Maddie: Hi Zach, Maddie here.
Zach: Hey Maddie you free tomorrow morning? Wanna get breakfast together?
Maddie: I can't do breakfast but i'm free after 10 am.
Zach: Where are you staying? See you at 10 am then.
Maddie: I'm staying here at Crosby Street Hotel. See you!
Zach: I'm assuming you still don't know NY quite well so I'll pick you up tomorrow at 10.
Maddie: Thanks Zach. Goodnight.

Rosa fell asleep while watching the movie and I couldn't sleep. I kept seeing Olly in my mind. I wish I hadn't been so stupid to hope. I look at the clock and its 12:47. I stood up to find my bag and to get my book to help me sleep but it wasn't there or any of my bags. Crap! I forgot to get The Little Prince from the shelf! Ugh! Can this day get any worse!

Since I can't sleep I decided to go for a walk for a while. I got my coat and locked the door. As I exited the elevator and walk through the lobby its amazing that there are still people in and out of the hotel. When I got out on the street there were still so many people. Its like the city never sleeps.
I saw a coffee shop across the hotel and decided maybe tea or coffee can help me stop thinking about Olly.
The coffee shop smelled so good on the inside. Looking thru the menu I decided on having chamomile tea with honey. I ordered and sat near the window. While drinking, my phone beeps notifying me of an email. I open my phone and open my email. Its from mom.

Dear Maddie,
I hope you're well and I miss you so much honey. When are you coming home can we please talk? I know you're still mad at me but I'm thinking about selling the house. I miss and love you so much.
xMom

She's thinking about selling the house? Why? I don't know whats going with mom but I know she's still sad about me leaving.

Half way through thru my tea my phone beeps again. It's a text from Rosa "where are you?" I replied "Went to get some tea and fresh air. On my way back now" I drink a little bit more of my tea and went back to our room.

Rosa was asleep when I got back and so I changed clothes to go to bed. Maybe the tea helped after all. I was sleepy
already when I brushed my teeth and when I laid down I drifted to sleep.

XXXXX
RECOMMEND
FOLLOW
COMMENT
Thanks for reading! Will update as soon as possible! ❤️