The Transfer Students Part 1

[Edited]

Nicole Summers

'Her eyes doth shine like the moonlight
A sad grin was placed on her pink plump lips
Forever watching you day and night
She sings, "My darling child, it is you I'll forever miss."'

I have always cherished the locket my mother gave me on my twelfth birthday. Ever since then, I always wear it, thinking of it as a lucky charm to protect me from harm or to get me through situations that make my heart race. Sometimes, I just open it up to read this four-lined poem inside it.

"Earth to Nicole!" Someone waves a hand in front of my face, bringing me back to reality.

Jace crouches down in front of me and gives me a worried expression. "Are you that nervous to meet the transfer students?"

Transfer students? What is he talking about? And why am I so out of it today? This is the third time I zoned out ever since I woke up and classes haven't even started yet. I slap my cheeks in an attempt to wake myself up.

"I'm sorry, I really zoned out," I start saying before closing the locket. "By the way, have you been working out in your free time?" I randomly ask, punching his newly developed biceps.

Jace stands up and proudly announces, "I did," before running his hand through his curly brown hair. "Also, I was asking if you're nervous to meet the transfer students. You've been quiet for a while even though you seemed so delighted to see us earlier. What's on your mind?"

"Don't worry. As I said, I just zoned out for a while," I answered with a smile, putting the locket on me again. I grab his hands separately before asking, "Where's the bag of fries you were eating earlier? I was going to ask from you." I pout, crossing my arms in front of me.

Jace closes the distance between us and pinches my cheek, making me swat his hand away. "I already finished the fries, Nikki."

Jeremiah clears his throat. "Don't do that, Jace."

Jeremiah is Jace's older brother by eleven months. The two of them look alike, and sometimes people mistake them for twins with their similar curly brown hair. Jeremiah's green eyes also differ from Jace's brown ones. Jace, although protective, acts like a clown sometimes while Jeremiah's usually the serious one between them.

"You're going to get in trouble if you keep doing that," Caleb informs him, not bothering to avert his gaze from his notebook. He continues writing in his notebook with Elina guiding him.

"He'll get in trouble either way," Kathleen declares. She sticks her tongue out at Jace playfully.

Kathleen is Jeremiah's long-term girlfriend. They've been a couple since last year which surprised us all. Jeremiah, Jace, Kathleen, and I have always hung around each other since we were little kids. I truly hope they won't break up and go back to strangers. If that were to happen, then the group would become awkward.

The six of us usually meet up on one of the tables in the school quadrangle. Even though our house is nearer, Jace and Jeremiah are usually the first to arrive at school since they wake up early to get here in time.

"How are you so good at this?" Caleb suddenly asks Elina. He taps her button nose and chuckles while Elina ties her chocolate brown hair into a high ponytail.

The two of them are also together. Caleb transferred here last year and ever since then, the two are inseparable. If you come to think of it, only Jace and I are the single ones in the group. It's irritating at times because they act all lovey-dovey when the six of us are spending time together.