Rogues

"Nikki! Get behind me!" Valerie commands as she takes a defensive stance. "When I deflect their attack, you run. Got it?"

My eyes widen at what she said. "What? I'm not leaving you behind to fend off that thing!" I jab my finger in the brown wolf's direction. It slowly approaches us, causing the beat of my heart to run wild and my chest to tighten. "Val. We might as well make a run for it. It doesn't look like it'll attack any sooner."

"Nikki, that werewolf is trying to take both of us."

We observe the pace of the werewolf as it examines our every move, circling around us. This doesn't look good. The wolf is akin to those predators eyeing their prey before they attack.

"VAL!" I scream as someone pulls on my hair and puts a knife near my throat. I drop the box and bottle in my hands and tried to pry the attacker's arm away. I wince at the intensity of the pain and stiffen at the possibility of the knife cutting the veins on my neck. What the hell is these guys' problem? Why are they suddenly attacking us?!

Valerie gets distracted and snaps her head towards me, which is definitely not the brightest idea because, within that second, the wolf pounces on her and pins her onto the ground. The wolf growls menacingly at her face, daring her to fight back.

"Now, now. Calm down, partner," the man behind me says to the wolf. "Why don't you two be good little wolves and tell me which one of you is the Former Alpha's daughter?"

The former Alpha's daughter? Is he talking about dad?

"ME!" Valerie and I shout simultaneously. The wolf forcefully pins her down once again and snarls at her face. The man squeezes my left shoulder with inhumane strength and presses the knife closer to my throat, the tattoos and circular scars on his arm showing.

"I wouldn't lie if I were you," he warns through clenched teeth.

"We're not lying!" I answer him, tears forming inside my eyes. "We're both the current Alpha's sisters. The Alpha isn't even mated yet!"

"We're not talking about Alpha Summers, wench. We meant Alpha Rickart's daughter. Which one of you is it, huh?!" the man demands. Alpha Rickart? The original Alpha family that was written on that white book for Alphas?

The wolf presses its paw on Valerie's neck causing her to cough. My heart starts beating rapidly and the tears I've been trying so hard to suppress cascades down my cheeks. I don't care if he ends up grazing my neck or dislocating my shoulder. That werewolf is going to suffocate my sister to death. "Don't hurt her!" I jab my elbow to the man's abdomen forcibly.

The man behind me loosens his grip. He falls onto the ground, screaming in agony while holding his head. "Make it stop! Make it stop!" He starts pulling on his hair and hitting on his head. "What the fuck did you do to me?"

I glare at the man, all the fear, anxiety, and logical reasoning draining my mind. The heat and anger rush to my head and all I can see then and there is red.

I want to kill them. I need to kill them.

The once bright area of our surroundings darken. Whirls of strong wind gush and engulf the four of us, carrying the wolf and the man with the knife with it. The pressure of the air increases as it carries them high up on the clouds, their forms miniaturizing. I release the energy, making them drop down and stop the gravitational pull before they reach the trees.

Lightning. I thought. Lightning flashes right away and almost hits them, thunder erupting right after.

The wolf whimpers while the man screams, terrified of the display of power. Is this what power feels like? I extend my hand forward, propelling the two to the nearby trees. They both fall onto the dried leaves, a crack reaching my ears.