[13] The Masked Men

Kelsey's POV

Yawning loudly, I sat back in my chair stretching just as the final bell rang. Oh, sweet freedom. Gathering my stuff carefully, I got up and joined the stream of students who were all rushing to the exit. I overheard a few people complaining about how long the day was for them, and how they were excited to leave and get ready for whatever party they were headed to.

I tuned out at the mention of a party. After what happened at the last party, I can't help but inwardly cringe at the word 'party'. It's probably best if I just avoid parties altogether at this point and just stay hanging out with Scott and Stiles.

With everything that's happened, I think I need a break from drama and go back to the basics which was hanging out with my brother and our best friend. Kind of like last night. After that Barrow mess and having that awkwardly vague interrogation with my dad, the three of us hung out afterwards. Well, Scott dozed off, so I guess Stiles and I hung out afterwards talking and playing video games together.

It's always nice hanging out with them, especially Stiles. When I hang out with him, it's always so relaxed and I don't find my anxiety going all over the place. Not to mention, Stiles was hilarious. It's like everything is back to normal, it feels like the Alpha pack didn't happen, or the darach or Isaac and I. It's because of the feeling of freedom and being able to revert to a better place that I was excited to jet off and hang out with him and my brother of course.

Pulling my keys from my pocket, I hopped onto my motorbike with my mind already on whether to order Chinese or Mexican for later when a hand touched my shoulder. Catching the Hugo Boss aftershave and the smell of peppermint, I instantly knew who was behind me before they even spoke.

"Kelsey, can we talk please?"

"Can't, I've got to be somewhere," I didn't bother looking back, and focused on getting ready to ride off. I'm not ready to deal with one of my many issues right now, maybe after another week.

"It won't take five minutes," Jake pressed, removing his hand from my shoulder. He released a frustrated sigh. "You know you can't avoid me forever, right?"

"Who said I'm avoiding you?" I counter in denial, as I felt myself becoming defensive and borderline feisty. Turning my head to face him, I noticed the sad and frustrated look on his face. Just seeing his face made my stomach drop, all the fire that was building up instantly extinguished.

"No one has to declare it, it's pretty obvious. The way you cut me off in the hallway, the way you've been running off every time I see you or come close and the way you haven't looked me in the eye all day," His jaw clenched, as he looked to the ground. His hands casually sat in his pockets.

There was a short silence between us as he waited for me to answer, while I sat on my bike unsure of what to say. I guess I failed in hiding the fact that I was avoiding him. But then again, how could I hide it? We go to the same school and are almost in all the same classes for crying out loud.

I sighed heavily, watching him as he watched me. Opening my mouth, I searched for the words to comfort him or at least make him feel better just when a gust of wind flew past us.

Taking a step closer, he brought a hand from his pocket to remove the stray strands that decided to cover my face before placing them behind my ear. He scanned my features, before whispering: "Did I do something wrong? Something to make you mad? Is that why you're avoiding me?" His electrifying eyes locked onto mine.

"No, you didn't do anything wrong. I just need space." I say, shaking off his hand and averting my gaze. I could feel my guilt for being cold starting to take over. His gaze narrowed slightly.