8. I Am Dead

The mournful music resounds through the empty wood. Cheap, low-quality wood that wasn't put together nicely. There was nothing I could do about that. I could blame it on everyone, but I won't, because it isn't their fault anyway.

Sighing, I get out of that horribly stuffy place and gaze around what that used to be. I see them, whispering in a corner; I see them, muttering this and muttering that; I see her, making her way to me.

My pathetic classmates, my whiney teachers, their mutterings echo in the vast realm of nothingness. My greedy aunts and uncles, even my covetous siblings, conspiring about who gets what. But she, she is nothing but wisp.

I wait as she approaches me. "You didn't have to come."

"But you're dead," she points out. "I had to come."

I snort, which isn't as easy as it would've been if I were alive. "Come on. Look at every one of them. Disgusting, aren't they?"

She stares at me in shock, her mouth hanging open. "How could you say something like that? It's rude!" she admonishes.

I shrug. "I am dead."

"But... but... the golden rule!" she squeaks.

"Treat others how you want to be treated, yeah, all that rubbish." I roll my eyes covertly. "But there's something I would like to tell you." She looks at me in confusion. "Well, there's a platinum rule. Treat others how they want to be treated."

"But they don't want to be treated this way!" she protests.

I laugh. A good guffaw. "You forgot. I am dead. There is no place for life."