Chapter 56

Harry's perspective

"The number you have dialled is not in service. Please check the number and try again."

I've checked the damn number three times already! What the hell is going on?

Having spent all day yesterday locked up in rehearsals for the show tonight, this is the first opportunity I've had to try and call Katie when it wouldn't be the middle of the night in London and all I keep getting is this stupid recorded message.

The only reason I can come up with for being unable to get through is that she's changed her number... but surely she wouldn't have done that just because we broke up, would she? Jesus. It's not like I'm her dickhead Ex who she needs to be scared of. Frustrated, I type out a quick message to Lou.

Harry:
Has she changed her number? H

I stare down at the phone for what seems like hours waiting impatiently for a response. A quick bit of maths confirms that it's seven in the evening in London, so there's no danger of Lou being in bed already.

Just as I am about to send another text, I feel my phone vibrate in my hand and see that Lou is calling.

"Uncle Hawwy!" the slightly squeaky voice of Lou's six-year-old daughter screams down the phone.

"Hey, Luxy! I miss you." I tell her trying to keep the anguish out of my voice

"I miss you too. When are you coming to see me?" Lux asks indignantly

"Soon, sweetheart, I promise. I'll be home next week, and I'll come and see you then ok? We can go out to the park." I assure her.

Since the first time I saw her perfect blonde hair when she was just a couple of days old, Lux has had my entire heart, for a long time she was a big part of my day to day life, travelling on the road with the boys and me when Lou was our hairdresser.

Now she's at school though, Lou's had to stop coming on tour with me, and I don't get to see Lux half as often as I'd like.

"Can we get ice cream?" She whispers down the phone.

"Sure! Why are we whispering, though?" I question her, lowering my voice too and playing along.

"So Mama doesn't hear, she'll say no ice cream." She whispers again, and for the first time in days I hear myself laughing

"Our secret then," I tell her

"Yay!!!" comes an excited scream

"It's a date. Luxy, can I talk to Mama for a minute please?" I ask

"MAMMMAAA!" she screeches, and I find myself holding my phone at arm's length in an attempt not to end up with a burst eardrum.

"Bye, Hawwy."

"Love you, Lux," I say as I hear her passing her phone to Lou,

"Hey H, sorry the minute I said who I was calling she insisted she be allowed to speak to you first," Lou tells me when Lux relinquishes the phone.

"No worries, I miss her too." I admit, wanting to get the pleasantries out of the way as quickly as possible before continuing " So, has she changed her number?" I ask, repeating my earlier text.

"Yeah," Lou admits sheepishly.

A pang of jealousy sweeps through me as I realise that not only has Katie changed her number, but she's also clearly spoken to Lou about it when she's refused to speak to me for days.

"Bit over the top, don't you think? Changing your number just 'cause you broke up with someone?" I ask, too harshly.

I can hear the venom in my own voice and force myself to take a couple of deep breaths, none of this is Lou's fault