Chapter 5: Seventh Year Begins

A/N: Thanks to the following folks for their assistance in helping this story along: brownlark42, ladyofsilverdawn, SassenachStarbuck, and MrsBennettFrazier

Sandra-Sempra made amazing cover art for this story. See it on my Tumblr crochetawayhpff. And let me know what you think of this chapter!

Chapter 5: Seventh Year Begins

August 12, 1944

After Tom's trip to Little Hangleton, he spent most of his summer waiting for his letter from Hogwarts: his last letter. He would never have to step foot in the orphanage again, come the following summer. Tom couldn't wait.

His letter finally came a week after he made the second Horcrux. After making the second Horcrux, Tom felt much the same as he had after making the first: like something was missing. He had once again taken to keeping the Horcrux with him at all times, this time wearing it. He already had his signet ring with the Ansuz rune and compulsion charm, and he didn't care for the look of two rings, but he planned to only wear the Horcrux until he felt like his soul was no longer torn.

His Hogwarts letter came with two surprises. The first surprise was that he would be Head Boy, which pleased him greatly, although he'd already had a sneaking suspicion. And the second surprise was a letter from Headmaster Dippet. The Headmaster explained that he had taken guardianship of Miss Granger, who was a long lost relative of his. Tom snorted at that line. 'Long lost' was right, but he was sure the girl wasn't a relative of Dippet's.

Dippet went on to say that he was placing her into Slytherin, which was a surprise. He wasn't going to Sort her? Tom wondered why. Then Dippet asked if Tom would tutor her in the coming year as they would be sharing classes. Tom smirked. He couldn't have asked for a better outcome himself. Not only would she be in his house and sharing all his lessons, Dippet expected Tom to tutor her. It was the perfect opportunity for Tom to find out all her little secrets and figure out a way to bind the girl to him.

September 1, 1944

The train ride to Hogwarts was as boring as ever. Becoming Head Boy did afford him the perk of being able to lounge in the Prefect car after the standard meeting. He was annoyed that Minerva McGonagall, of all people, had been made Head Girl. A Gryffindor? The last three Head Girls had been Ravenclaws; it was much more their style in Tom's opinion.

McGonagall did, at least, leave Tom to the Prefect car, and he spent the rest of the trip to Scotland with his Knights, learning about their summers and the latest pure-blood gossip: who was marrying whom, pending betrothals, broken promises. Tom wanted to know it all. In reality, he could care less. His interest was purely in acquiring more power by whatever means necessary.

Tom was exceedingly pleased to see Granger at the Slytherin table, facing away so she didn't see him walk in. Nor did she turn around when he glared at the sixth-year boy sitting next to her.

Once the boy noticed Tom, he quickly moved down the bench, and Tom took his seat. He greeted Granger and smirked at her coldness in return. Tom wasn't worried; she'd warm up to him, eventually. Most of the girls were practically in love with him. He'd have her eating out of his hand in no time, too—especially with all the dirty little secrets he knew about her.

He was surprised about the Headmaster's announcement about her. He mentioned she was from the continent and had fled violence there. He noticed that Granger had the grace to blush during that portion of the speech.

After the feast was over, he tried to corner her in the common room, but she brushed him off and went to bed. Tom decided he wouldn't push it. He had all year after all.