Chapter 14: The Unbreakable Vow

A/N: Thanks to the following folks for their assistance in helping this story along: brownlark42, ladyofsilverdawn, SassenachStarbuck, and MrsBennettFrazier.

Sandra-Sempra made amazing cover art for this story. See it on my Tumblr crochetawayhpff. And let me know what you think of this chapter!

January 26, 1945

Hermione was reading in the common room after dinner. She didn't know where Tom had gone and was a little sad she hadn't seen him. Usually, they spent evenings together, either in the common room or library. Returning to his room for sleep. Hermione had not slept in her own bed since Tom's birthday. She was getting rather used to sleeping with the wizard. She frowned as she glanced at her watch and saw that it was almost curfew. Where was he?

No sooner had the thought surfaced, than Tom burst through the entrance to the common room, the wall slid shut behind him as he looked around wildly. He saw her and Hermione watched as he seemed to calm visibly. He stalked toward her and grasped her hand, and pulled her after him.

"Tom?" Hermione asked after he had ushered her into his room and shut the door behind them.

He whirled on her and kissed her deeply, passionately, pushing her against the door at her back. Hermione wasn't complaining, she loved it when he took charge like this. She moaned at the feel of his hard, lithe body against hers. Just as suddenly as the searing kiss had begun, Tom pulled away, panting heavily as he buried his face into her neck and shoulder.

"...sorry, I'm so sorry," he muttered over and over again into her hair.

"Tom? What's wrong?" Hermione asked. She didn't know what would have happened to make him act like this.

"I won't do it, Hermione. I won't become him," Tom spat as he pulled back to look into her eyes.

Hermione searched his deep blue eyes for a moment, "You viewed the memory?"

Tom nodded, "It was horrible. How could you have... why do you..." Tom trailed off.

He stepped back quickly, holding his hands up as if she'd burned him.

Hermione felt a wave of hurt course through her. She hung her head. Of course, Tom had seen her for the Muggleborn she was. He wouldn't want anything to do with her.

"I understand," Hermione said quietly as she pulled away from the door and turned to open it.

"No!" Tom said, startling her. "No, you don't."

His voice was strained and Hermione struggled to understand.

"I killed you. I murdered you in your timeline. I watched the whole thing, Hermione. How... how could you want me?" Tom asked, his voice small and his eyes tortured.

Suddenly, Hermione understood. Tom couldn't forgive himself for something he hadn't done yet.

"Tom," Hermione pleaded.

When he didn't look at her, she stepped forward and cupped his cheek in her hand, "Tom," she said again.

Tom finally opened his eyes and looked at her.

"You aren't him. Not yet. I don't think of you as Lord Voldemort. I haven't, not since before Halloween at least. You haven't become that monster. It's... I'm in a different timeline, we have time. We can change how history plays out... I love you," Hermione admitted.

She hadn't meant to say that, she wasn't even sure when she realized that it was true, but suddenly it was. She did love him. Not only did she want to save him in order to save the rest of the world, but she wanted to save him for his sake. She wanted him. Desperately, more than she'd ever wanted anything.