Chapter 8: Fire Crabs are Dangerous

A/N: Thanks to the following folks for their assistance in helping this story along: brownlark42, ladyofsilverdawn, SassenachStarbuck, and MrsBennettFrazier.

Sandra-Sempra made amazing cover art for this story. See it on my Tumblr crochetawayhpff. And let me know what you think of this chapter!

October 9, 1944

Hermione huffed a sigh as Tom once again grabbed her bag off her shoulder and slung it over his own. She had tried to sneak out of the common room on her way to breakfast without Tom noticing. He must have some spies somewhere, because halfway to the Great Hall, Tom caught up with her. He didn't say a word, just grabbed her bag, and her hand and they continued walking to breakfast.

She was uncomfortable with how friendly Tom was being, but if she was isolated before her fall, she was even more so now. Hermione was positive Tom had something to do with it. Her roommates ignored her, but some of the other seventh years would talk with her in class, or partner with her. That's all stopped. Tom was her only class partner, and now, the only people Hermione talked to were Tom, Armando, and the other professors. She was lonely.

"Listen, Tom, you have good intentions. I get it, but I need you to back, off," Hermione muttered as they entered the Great Hall.

"I think you know I can't do that, Hermione," Tom said pleasantly as he fixed her a cuppa. Just how she liked it. She was annoyed that he paid such close attention to her that he knew how she took her tea in the morning.

"Do you know the only people I interact with on a day-to-day basis are you and the other professors? Nobody else will even talk to me," Hermione complained as she bit into her toast.

"Good."

"What did you do?" Hermione asked.

"Me? Nothing at all," Tom said with a false look of innocence.

Hermione wasn't stupid though. She knew he did something, but didn't know what. She thought about all of the other seventh years. The boys had never said a word to her and had left her alone from the beginning. It was the girls who used to talk to her. But now they didn't, why? Hermione was determined to figure out what exactly Tom had done and find someone who would talk to her. Maybe a Gryffindor? Minerva McGonagall was Head Girl this year, Hermione had made a few overtures, but they were all rebuffed. She would have to try harder. Maybe see if she could corner Minerva somewhere.

"What are you thinking about?" Tom asked with narrowed eyes.

"Me? Nothing at all," Hermione replied with a bland smile.

October 9, 1944

Hermione scowled as she felt a pinch in her wrist that meant someone had broken through one of the many layered wards she had put on her wardrobe. She finally had some alone study time in the library. She didn't know where Tom was, and frankly didn't care. He wasn't shadowing her for once, that's all that mattered. Another pinch and another ward went down. She stood quickly and packed up her books.

Walking quickly out of the library and down the stairs, she felt a third pinch. There were only two more wards protecting her wardrobe now. They were the most advanced, ones she'd laid into runes, but getting through the first three as quickly as they had was fairly impressive. She wondered if it was a roommate or Tom. Her money was on Tom.

She started to run when the fourth pinch hit and skidded to a halt in front of the entrance to the Slytherin common room. She whispered the password and hustled down the corridor to the seventh year girls dormitory. She noted that each of her roommates was in the common room. That meant Tom.