Coke, Lavender, and Lemons

Tap, tap, tap....

I lay with my eyes open, staring at the ceiling on the room. The IV feeding medication into my veins.

Blink.

Soda had left to get the nurse and while he was gone, my heart started beating faster. The beeps on the monitor were going wild. I didn't know what was happening.

My legs felt those small prickles you feel when a body part starts falling asleep.

My brain felt like it was being electrocuted and my body was suddenly flailing. The nurses rushed in after a few seconds and had to strap me down.

It hurts.

I couldn't feel anything but pain. All I heard were my screams.

I didn't understand. I don't understand.

Soda is here now.

I turn my head towards him and he knees down next to me, carefully putting my hand in his.

"Hey," his voice is hoarse because he's been crying. His blue eyes are red and swollen because he's been wiping away tears.

I made him cry.

"Hi," my voice, I don't even recognize it anymore. It's... it sounds different. It's much more soft, smoother even.

Silence drips in the air and I don't like it. He wants to know what happened. He should know. He was there. He was the first person I saw when I opened my eyes. Right before I started screaming.

"I-" My voice broke so I just let the rest of my body so down with it.

He held me and I pulled him onto the bed, just so I could hold him closer.

"I don't know what happened. It hurt, it hurt so bad, I couldn't control it. I don't understand," I sobbed out, not caring who seen me cry.

"I know baby, I know. You're okay now, you're okay, breath. Just breath."

I listened, not responding. Instead, pulling away from the hug and wrapping my arms around his neck, kissing him.

He tasted like Coke, Chocolate, and Lemons. That combination is special.

The kiss was soft and meaningful. It felt different the past ones but it might just be because I haven't exactly been awake for awhile. It felt good, I wanted more.

He pulls away, holding my chin in his hands.

"Hey, did you know I love you?"

He smiles and I nod,"I know, you told me every time you came and seen me."

"Wait, you were able to hear me?" He raises and brow and I nod again.

"Yeah, I could hear everything. And I love you too," I put my hands over his on my face. They were warm and soft.

I closed my eyes and just listening to the rain hitting the outside of the window.

"When will I get to go home, Soda?" I ask.

"The doctors haven't said anything but I'll be sure to ask when I leave."

"Okay, have you gone home since I woke up?"

"No, I wanted to see if you were okay. I should probably call Darry though, just to let him know I'm still here and not dead," he chuckles.

"Yeah, go, I'll wait," I smile and he agrees, standing up.

"Be right back," he leaves the room after he kisses my forehead.

"Ah, Soda. You need to get home soon..." I whisper to no one, worried about how Darry is going to react. It's been hours and it's late at night. The nurses made an exception to Soda for visiting since he wasn't allowed to see me the first 4 hours. He should've gone home. But like he said, he wanted to see me.

Why am I so important?

I lay down, closing my eyes and waiting for Soda to come back.

The bed was really airy, like there was no comfort. Just air and a plastic mattress that the sheets slid on every time you moved.

"Steve?" A voice called and I opened my eyes, seeing Soda stand in the doorway.

"Someone's here to see you," he smiles and I nod, sitting up a bit.

Dallas Winston comes into my line of vision and when he sees me, a smile is pulled onto his face.

"Hey Dallas," I wave and he comes over and gives me a real big hug.

"I missed you, Kid," he sniffs.

"I missed you too Dal," he pulls back and I see that he has tears in his eyes.

"Dallas Winston, are you crying?" I tease and he chuckles, wiping his eyes.

"Nah, I'm fine. I was just surprised to actually see you looking at me. To think, this past week without you and just seeing you lay there and then bam, you're saying 'hey Dallas', it's crazy. I prepared myself when Soda told me but when I seen you, I just got all emotional."

"Well that's fine with me, you're only human. You have emotions too, though you try to hide them, I can see right through you."

"Oh, I'm sure you can Randle," he says with doubt layered in his voice.

"It's true, you know, I heard everything you told me when I was 'asleep'," I make air quotes when I say asleep.

"You did?" His face goes a bit pale and I nod.

"It's okay though," I assure,"I'm glad you said those things. I know you don't like talking to people, but you can always talk to me. Keeping your emotions to yourself can slowly kill a person. I should know," I glance at Soda when he walks back inside the room.

"What?" He asks, completely oblivious to the fact we're talking about Dallas' emotions.

"Nothing babe," I smile.

"Well uh, Darry wants me home so I guess I should get going then."

I frown,"are you just going to walk?"

"Yeah, his truck broke down-"

"I'll take you home," Dallas interrupts," gotta head that way anyways to Two- to Tim's. He's helping me uh..."

"Two-Bit, I know, it's not very hard to figure out y'all have something going on. Especially since I walked in on you guys kissin'," he mumbles the last part and Dallas' face goes pink.

"Enough said outta you, let's go," Dallas ruffles my hair and walks out, leaving Soda and I.

He walks over and kisses my cheek, hugging my small figure.

"I love you, sleep well, goodnight Stevie," he kisses me one last time then walks out, leaving me alone.

The rose blooms.