vii

he smiled at me. he smiled at me as if he hadn't made me lose my mind. and if at this point i hadn't already gone crazy, his smile alone would make me go insane.

prominent dimples appeared on his cheeks, as i stood up from the sidewalk as fast as i could.

"are you alright?" his accent left me breathless. "you look kind of pale."

"i'm... i'm just... it's just that..." i truthfully never thought this moment would really come. the possibility of it actually happening had already been erased from my mind; telling myself another heartbreak wouldn't do me any good.

yet, as i stood in front of him, i couldn't even seem to listen to the thoughts in my head.

"hi," i said, breathlessly.

"hey," he smiled again. "what's your name?"

"i'm...umm, my name is..." my brain couldn't find words to speak, but it somehow made me reach for the picture i always kept in my pocket.

i looked at it and hesitantly handed it to him.

this was the kind of moment you have always dreamed of but don't actually expect to happen, because once the moment is over, you'll have nothing to wish for.

he looked at me and i finally could see the vibrant green color in his eyes.

his hand reached for mine and brushed it while he took the picture.

if i'm being honest, i was afraid of his reaction.

what would he say?
or better yet,
what would i say?