chapter three

When tomorrow comes, I'll be on my own
Feeling frightened of the things that I don't know
When tomorrow comes, tomorrow comes, tomorrow comes.

And though the road is long, I look up to the sky
And in the dark I found, lost hope that I won't fly
And I sing along, I sing along, and I sing along

I got all I need when I got you and I
I look around me, and see a sweet life
I'm stuck in the dark but you're my flashlight
You're getting me, getting me, through the night
Kick start my heart when you shine it in my eyes
Can't lie, it's a sweet life
Stuck in the dark but you're my flashlight
You're getting me, getting me, through the night
'Cause you're my flashlight
You're my flashlight, you're my flashlight
Getting me through the night...

Ms. Denise sighed. Rhyme has nights like this sometimes; she has insomnia. She'll sit in the window seat and look at the street outside or the sky, and sometimes she'll sing quietly. Rhyme has a beautiful voice, but can't share it with anyone. She's too quiet.

Rhyme turned her head from the window to the entrance of her room. Ms. Denise moved out of Rhyme's view. Rhyme stood up and walked over to her bed, slipping under the covers. She faced the wall, away from Ashleigh and Haley. After about an hour of letting her mind wander, she had finally fallen asleep.

In the morning, Ms. Denise came in the room to wake the girls up, but Rhyme wasn't in her bed. This has happened before, so Ms. Denise figured she had gone to the bathroom early so she wouldn't have to deal with too many kids in it at once. She checked the bathroom door and it was locked. Rhyme had to be in it since her room was the first set of children she had woken up.

Rhyme came out of the bathroom once she heard banging on the door from Haley. She slipped out the door as Ashleigh, Haley, and another girl bolted in. Once returning to her room, she picked up her blue notebook and the gel pen and placed them in her backpack. She opened the drawer of the dresser where her clothes were and pulled out a teal jacket with a white shirt and a pair of black leggings. Once putting them on, she walked down the stairs to go eat her breakfast. She found the table full of empty plates except hers, which contained one piece of bacon. The other children had stolen her food. She ate the bacon and brought her plate over to the kitchen, where she made herself a piece of toast with strawberry jelly. Ms. Denise walked into the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"The other kids stole my food," Rhyme spoke right before biting her toast.

"Speak up, you can't be heard," Ms. Denise started washing Rhyme's plate.

"The other kids stole my food." Rhyme still spoke quietly but she was a bit louder than before, and it was the effort that counted.

"I'll talk to them," Denise shook her head.

"Don't," Rhyme ate her last bite of toast before putting the crusts in the trashcan.

"Rhyme, you can let yourself be a pushover, but I'm not going to foster that," Denise took Rhyme upstairs to the bathroom.

She took Rhyme's hairbrush and started doing her hair. She pulled it up into a high ponytail, making sure there were no bumps.

"Do you want a scrunchie or a ribbon today?" She asked.

Rhyme shook her head.

"Have a good day at school, okay?" Denise stopped Rhyme while she had started to walk away.

Rhyme nodded her head. It was clearly visible her mind was elsewhere.

"Hey," Ms. Denise looked at her.

"I will," Rhyme looked above Denise's head.

Rhyme picked up her purple backpack from her room and stopped at the front door to put on her sparkly silver flats, then walked out the front door.